cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4.5.x Slowdown and Freezing caused by program scanning drives

BlueNose
Contributor

Quad-Core i7 3.4 GHZ CPU and 16 GB Ram

windows 10 x64 Pro

Program works well and I rely on it to help process a large number of photos from 5 cameras.

However it is loading very slowly and Freezing or slowing down when using it.  This behaviour has become a very serious problem in trying to use it. 

I ran procmon.exe (microsoft sysinternals) to see what is was doing when the program froze for minutes at a time.

Procmon.exe reported that dpp4main.exe is scanning and opening files on both my C: drive and 😧 drive and each time it DPP locked up completely it was when it tried to open a 100+ GB zip file.   The slowdown occurred when it went out and searched my gaming directories on another drive, another freeze occurred when it was opening multi GB .pst files.
Support told me i just needed to set the default directory - but that didn't work.

Is there anyway to to stop DPP 4.5.10 or DPP 4.5.20 from scanning my directories and files ????

I'm assuming at the moment  that it is trying to find and index photos but it's crazy to do this on multi terrabyte drives filled with a huge number of files.  Worse it seems to kick off to scan the files while i'm working on photos - freezing the program for long periods.

[Removed to protect your privacy]

16 REPLIES 16

I get it isthar. It's the worst piece of Canon software that I use till date.

well here's the thing...

I loved lightroom but f*** adobe for going cloud pricing. just let me buy it once.

paintshoppro... well... just reeks of 1990s programming full of files and processes and intrusive drm services...

and to be honest I just used DPP with my new camera and I like it!

@isthar wrote:

well here's the thing...

I loved lightroom but f*** adobe for going cloud pricing. just let me buy it once.

paintshoppro... well... just reeks of 1990s programming full of files and processes and intrusive drm services...

and to be honest I just used DPP with my new camera and I like it!

I've never been a LR user so consider the source, but ...

Didn't Adobe effectively have cloud pricing long before they formally "went to" it? IOW, didn't they adamantly refuse to provide routine updates to LR, thereby forcing their users to buy a new version every time a new camera came out? That's certainly how it appeared to an outside observer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

you have a point, however, there is to me a ... feeling thing. I despise the idea nowadays that you are lent things for an interminable fee. that is, let's push this a bit. i sign up. here adobe! $100 a year! ... and i forget about it. or i die. or i just swear of cameras.... well, what's the state of things if you do nothing? ten years later... $1000 dollars.

with owned software you are in control. it is your choice.

well, all this to say that I AM enjoying DPP ... and do wish the file scanning thing gets fixed!

@isthar wrote:

you have a point, however, there is to me a ... feeling thing. I despise the idea nowadays that you are lent things for an interminable fee. that is, let's push this a bit. i sign up. here adobe! $100 a year! ... and i forget about it. or i die. or i just swear of cameras.... well, what's the state of things if you do nothing? ten years later... $1000 dollars.

I'm not necessarily trying to defend the concept of rented software, but I don't think that's quite how it works. Usually there's an authorization code, and if it expires and you don't renew it, the software just stops working. You don't have to pay for time that passes after your lease runs out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@isthar wrote:

with owned software you are in control. it is your choice.

well, all this to say that I AM enjoying DPP ... and do wish the file scanning thing gets fixed!

I don't have that problem.  i changed my Windows 10 settings to not to automatically scan new thumb drives for media files.  I made the same the change in Windows Media Player, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

BlueNose
Contributor

No response and 4.6.10 has the same  problems.  procmon.exe finds that DPP freezes on me when it finds a zip file anywhere on any harddrive.  I've buried them on other harddrives deep in the directory system and it still continues to look and find these huge files and tries to open them causing the software to hang for minutes as it keeps failing because  of the file sizes.  I really need a way to stop DPP from trying to open huge files on my hardrives.  I can't be the only person who has huge files on their drives.  If this was anything but the canon software I would assume it was behaving like a trojan and searching for confidential files for identity theft or some other purpose.

Please Canon provide a switch to turn off this file searching behaviour (outside of the working directory).

Announcements