cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP won't open in Windows 8

bublynski
Contributor

Hi...

We can't get  Digital Photo Professional (v3.13.0.1) to open on our Windows 8, 64-bit machine.  We get the following message:

DPP windows 8 error message.JPG

We've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, made sure the screen resolution is above 1024 x 768, and have tried using the compatibility troubleshooter to change DPP settings to run in 16-bit color, but nothing works.  Help!

25 REPLIES 25

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It must be a problem with your set-up as DPP runs well on my Win 8 machine.

If it makes any difference 16-bit is not 'high' color. Try setting your display to 32-bit and 1920x1080.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks... the maximum resolution for the display is 1920 x 1040, and that's where we've set it... as for color depth, Windows 8 doesn't appear to show a way to select specific numbers.  And the only options within DPP are either 8-bit or 16-bit color.  We must be missing something obvious, but we're still at a loss.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Win 8 does not control the video settings. That will be on you video card. I am unfamiliar with 1920 x 1040. I didn't even know it existed.

EB

Sorry!  That was 1920 x 1080 (not 1040).  I thought we needed to change the color depth, not video settings?  We did try the NVIDIA control panel but the only options were for controlling the 3D settings.  We'll try again, but not hopeful.  Maybe I can talk my husband into giving up DPP and using Lightroom...

Thumbs up on Light Room. It is leaps and bounds better than DPP.

But DPP works fine on Win 8 machines so I still suspect you have something set incorrectly. On your Nvidia Control panel you should have a Change Resolution. It is below the 3D Settings.

Mine is set at 1920x1080, which is the native format, 60hz and 32 bit which is the highest.

EB

jprusa
Contributor

Have you updated your driver for the video card lately?

Thanks... it's a brand-new laptop, but yes, we did update the drivers, just to be sure.  Thanks for the suggestion... we've given up on trying to get DPP to work, after trying everything we can think of.  I'm sure we're missing something, but we sure can't figure it out.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Bublynski,
This may be an issue with the way Windows magnifies the screen.

Please try this:
Right-click on the display and choose "Personalize".
In the next window that opens, choose "Display" and check the magnification.  If it's greater than 100%, choose 100%.  Now try the installation again.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for this suggestion - the magnification was set to 150%, so we changed it to 100%... but we're still getting the same failure message when we try to open DPP.  We'll try a restart and maybe a reinstall of DPP and see if that helps.

Announcements