cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP - unable to save edited photos - error message "error 1" is generated

BN
Apprentice

Hello!

I'm running DPP 4.18.1.0. I'm using macOS Sonoma 14.4.1.

I've been trying to edit photos from a recently purchased Canon EOS R5. The files are "raw" with filename extension ".CR3".

I'm unable to save any photograph I edit using DPP. The error message looks like this:

B65A0810.CR3 ---> B65A08100.JPG
    An error occurred.

I have tried "save", "save as", "Convert and save" and "Batch process." The same error message results every time.

This is a new problem that has started to appear since I installed a minor macOS update that became available. Previously I was able to save edited photos without any problem. But I'm not totally sure that this has got to do with the OS update. I'm a new DPP user. I don't know if I changed some DPP settings incorrectly but I tried to reset all the settings to the defaults.

I have tried to uninstall/restart the computer/reinstall DPP a few times and the same error results.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

BN

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Perhaps the OS update changed the permissions for DPP. Check that DPP still has folder and disk access in the Security section of System Settings.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you very much for your reply. I changed the security settings to allow DPP to have full access to the folder in which I was trying to get DPP to save the new files. But this didn't make any difference. The same error resulted, with error code 1.

The error message in the error log is uninformative: "An error occurred." I wish DPP could generate a more informative error message.

Thank you.

BN

BTW, even before I changed the security settings today, I could get DPP to write unedited versions of the raw images to any of the folders. Problems arose only when I tried to save edited versions of raw images.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi.

I have a MacBook Air M2 with latest macOS Sonoma and DPP4; same versions you report.

I ran three tests using a .CR3 RAW file - 1. read and write to Desktop, 2. move files to a folder and read and write to that folder, and 3 read from one folder and write to a different folder (except the Save operation always overwrites the original file.)

I used your four processes -  "save", "save as", "Convert and save" and "Batch process."

Everything worked as it should. Since it started after your OS update it would seem to be related to that. 

You could try re-downloading the OS update by going to the App Store.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you so much, John. I'm using a MacBook Pro (purchased in November 2019) with an intel processor. I don't know if the recent software update is different on this system.

As you suggest, I'll download and reinstall the OS but I'm going to be able to do this only sometime this weekend. (I couldn't find way to reinstall just the latest update from the AppStore since my computer is "up-to-date")

Thanks again.

BN

@BN wrote:

Thank you so much, John. I'm using a MacBook Pro (purchased in November 2019) with an intel processor. I don't know if the recent software update is different on this system.

As you suggest, I'll download and reinstall the OS but I'm going to be able to do this only sometime this weekend. (I couldn't find way to reinstall just the latest update from the AppStore since my computer is "up-to-date")

Thanks again.

BN

Something else to try would be to use an uninstaller app to completely eliminate all traces of DPP and then reinstall.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for this great idea, John. Some years ago, I knew where to find such app-specific settings in a file under the Library folder and remove the file. But macOS no longer seems to keep such a file or files. I did find a folder labeled DPP4 and deleted it. And restarted the laptop and reinstalled DPP. But when I started DPP, it remembered the folder where I had stored the CR3 files and opened the photos in it. Clearly, some settings didn't get deleted. I'm afraid to try using third-party uninstaller apps to remove DPP.

At this point, I'm inclined to start using the macOS Photos app for editing canon photos. Maybe in a few months, either Canon or Apple would fix whatever the bug is that's causing this problem.

Thank you so much for all your help.

BN

Announcements