cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP Crashing on Open

jseyfert3
Contributor

I installed DPP 4.16.10, but it crashes every time it opens. It opens briefly, I see the window, and a few seconds later it closes. Same with DPP 4.15.20 which I also tried as 16.10 crashes. Running Windows 10 64-bit, version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.

Windows Event Viewer lists a crash of .NET, followed by a crash of DPP, followed by an information post with some more details contained in a Windows error reporting file.

I don't have that folder that some people say to delete. I've tried running in compatibility modes for Windows 8 and Windows XP SP3 with no success. Anything else I can try?

.NET Runtime error:

Application: Dpp4Main.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFF08BF6732
Stack

Application Error:

Faulting application name: Dpp4Main.exe, version: 4.16.10.0, time stamp: 0x6214564c
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1806, time stamp: 0x1000a5b9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a6732
Faulting process id: 0x2fb4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b29446e87ff3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional 4\Dpp4Main.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: cc991004-10a4-4a6a-9d24-dd43a21defc4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've figured it out! In my Pictures folder, there were folders plus a few random photos. By moving folders and pictures back in in groups, and if a group failed, taking out half that group, I narrowed it down to these two photos. These are OOTC JPGs from my Canon RP, except I used some program (probably GIMP) to crop them, then saved as I often due to edits with the original IMG name followed by "cropped". One of them is labeled "cropped 2" but it's just a copy of the first, so I don't know why I have it.

jseyfert3_1-1666830086703.png

I have NO idea why a simple cropped JPG would cause DPP to crash on startup, but that's what my issue was! I tried renaming the photo, removing IMG and naming it test, no luck. Still crashes DPP if it's in the folder DPP is looking at.

Doesn't matter WHERE the photos are either. I left the photos in the temp folder in my Documents folder, started DPP, navigated within DPP to the folder containing the two pictures, and it immediately crashed. So there's something specific to these particular images that DPP just does not like. They open fine in GIMP, IrfanView, Photos, Paint, Paint 3D, and Snip and Sketch. So it's not like they are corrupted files. DPP just hates them for some reason.

If anyone is super curious, I can put the actual file into my Google drive and link it here for downloading if you want to see if it crashes your copy of DPP.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

egerik
Apprentice

Hi, 
Same problem here with 4.16.11 on a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro
(Version 21H2, OS build 19044.1288)

DPP opens briefly, but crashes before I can even do anything with it ...

From Event Viewer:

Event 1026, .NET Runtime:
Application: Dpp4Main.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c000001d, exception address 000002253AA8339B

Event 1000, Application Error:
Faulting application name: Dpp4Main.exe, version: 4.16.11.0, time stamp: 0x62df8c24
Faulting module name: DppCoreSub.dll, version: 4.16.11.0, time stamp: 0x62df88c3
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x000000000035339b
Faulting process ID: 0x294
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8e2cf5f21d462
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional 4\Dpp4Main.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional 4\Dpp4Lib\DppCoreSub.dll
Report ID: 896bd976-c459-423c-8be4-98838147a4eb
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event 1005, Application Error:
Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Digital Photo Professional 4 because of this error.

Program: Digital Photo Professional 4
File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 0

egerik
Apprentice

Additional remark:
I just noticed that the error only occurs when I try to open a folder that contains .CR3 raw images (from an EOS RP), but folders with .CR2 files from a 5D Mark IV seem to be handled normally.

You could be on to something.  Change the default startup folder that DPP looks at when it starts up.  Make it look at an empty folder on startup.

I have really used DPP since it was DPP3.  That version seemed like it used the same startup as Windows Media Player.  

Change WMP to not look media files on startup.  Set its startup folder to one that does not contain media files.   I think I set my to an empty folder in the root directory of my C drive.  WMP could spend several minutes looking for media files whenever you started it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

How do you change your default folder if DPP crashes immediately on startup? Is there a config file I can edit?

The only other option I’d have is to move all my pictures out of the default folders. Which folders does DPP scan by default on a new install so I can make sure I’ve removed all files from them?

@egerik wrote:

Additional remark:
I just noticed that the error only occurs when I try to open a folder that contains .CR3 raw images (from an EOS RP), but folders with .CR2 files from a 5D Mark IV seem to be handled normally.

While I can’t say that this isn’t your issue, I can say that I have only been shooting .CR3 RAW since April 2020 and have no issues with DPP4 opening any folders on startup.

When I have had various issues with DPP I run a registry clean using the free version of CCleaner. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Like John, I have been editing folders containing both .CR3 and .CR2 files for several years using DPP without a problem.  At a typical sports event, I am using one 1DX 3 body (CR3 files) and a pair of 1DX 2 bodies (CR2 files) and I dump them all to the same directory using the camera ethernet connection so that I am editing them in the time sequence in which they were captured.

Even with a fast PC (mine has twin 8 core Intel Xeon processors with 256 GB of RAM per CPU and dual Nvidia workstation graphics cards), CR3 files are noticeably slower to work with.  .CR2 files are ready to crop instantly as soon as I click on it, a .CR3 file takes close to two seconds to fully load and be ready for editing.  This isn't much of a delay but it does become annoying when you are processing a lot of files because I had to train myself to make sure the cropping is actually cropping when I start moving the mouse.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

egerik
Apprentice

Hi and thank you for the reply.
However, it really looks like DPP was in some strange way "allergic" to .CR3 raw images.
When the startup folder is free of CR3 files, DPP is useable, but as soon as I navigate to a folder full of CR3s, it crashes after a few seconds. I just tried copying a single .CR3 into a folder that contains .CR2 files - DPP accepted that until I selected that .CR3, then it crashed ...

It must be something that has become corrupted in your computer. Multiple folks on this forum use and post about edits they have made with camera models that produce .CR3 files. 

Maybe Rodger can see this post. He has posted in the past about resolving some issues with DPP. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Screenshot 2022-10-18 103212.jpgI just thought of something - do you meet the minimum computer configurations specified?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements