cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4 crashes if folder contains JPGs with EXIF data added by Windows 10

samarak
Apprentice

Apologies if this is a duplicate - I've searched on "DPP 4 crash" and there are a lot of issues. None seemed specifically what I am seeing, though I suspect some similar sounding issues may be related.

I used DPP 4 to process CR2 files from my 5DS R and produce JPGs. I used GIMP to further process those images. No problems - I continued to use DPP 4 on other images in that folder, and I've done this many times, DPP 4 has no problems with the GIMP-edited JPGs. Then I added some EXIF tags from Windows 10 to several of those JPGs, something I had not previously done. DPP 4 crashed, and crashed immediately on restart from that point on. I had to rename that folder to get DPP 4 to start, and some testing seemed to confirm that those images were the problem (move them to another folder, now i can open the original folder in DPP 4, but not the new one, etc. etc.). I updated to DPP 4.10.0.1 a few minutes ago and the problem persists. The tags I added were Author, Title, Subject, and Comment. I have not tested to see if it's a specific tag, or any of them, that cause the problem.

Windows 10 event logs report the following two errors (computer name redacted):

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Date: 3/7/2019 9:43:47 PM
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxxxx
Description:
Application: Dpp4Main.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFF89EDC3F9
Stack:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-03-08T03:43:47.025866600Z" />
<EventRecordID>33769</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>xxxxxxxxxx</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Application: Dpp4Main.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFF89EDC3F9
Stack:
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

and:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 3/7/2019 9:43:47 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxxxx
Description:
Faulting application name: Dpp4Main.exe, version: 4.10.0.1, time stamp: 0x5bfcb561
Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524f83ff
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003c3f9
Faulting process id: 0x2720
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4d5611e24e9de
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional 4\Dpp4Main.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional 4\MSVCR120.dll
Report Id: 309cd45d-b42b-4123-a915-8e45d829c062
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-03-08T03:43:47.419214400Z" />
<EventRecordID>33770</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>xxxxxxxxxx</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Dpp4Main.exe</Data>
<Data>4.10.0.1</Data>
<Data>5bfcb561</Data>
<Data>MSVCR120.dll</Data>
<Data>12.0.21005.1</Data>
<Data>524f83ff</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>000000000003c3f9</Data>
<Data>2720</Data>
<Data>01d4d5611e24e9de</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional 4\Dpp4Main.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional 4\MSVCR120.dll</Data>
<Data>309cd45d-b42b-4123-a915-8e45d829c062</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Steve

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would suggest your exif editor is not putting the info where, or in a format where, DPP4 expects to find it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

With no snarkiness whatever intended, that seems obvious. 

But DPP should not crash and then crash on restart because it finds unexpected data. It should throw a "corrupted image" or similar message, as I've seen it do on other occasions, and ignore those files. One of the basic rules of good coding is don't rely on your data to be correct, and don't crash or do improper things if it isn't.

Also, I used the Windows 10 built-in interface, which is surely very widely used, to add the EXIF data, and none of the other image programs I have handy report any issue with it. That makes it likely that it's DPP that has the bug rather than everyone else. But I don't have the time or inclination to dig into the rules of adding EXIF data to prove who's at fault for not following the spec, I'm just looking for a fix or workaround, since this is costing me time shuffling files. And if I forget it's a real pain in the ass because I have to rename folders to get DPP to start again. 

I'm hoping someone else has already encountered this and knows whether (a) it's a specific tag or tags, or all tags added by Windows, or specific things in the tags (certain characters?), and (b) if there's a fix or circumvention (for instance, a way to make DPP ignore JPG files in a folder, other than to warn me if I'm about to overwrite one that already exists).

@samarak wrote:

With no snarkiness whatever intended, that seems obvious. 

But DPP should not crash and then crash on restart because it finds unexpected data. It should throw a "corrupted image" or similar message, as I've seen it do on other occasions, and ignore those files. One of the basic rules of good coding is don't rely on your data to be correct, and don't crash or do improper things if it isn't.

Also, I used the Windows 10 built-in interface, which is surely very widely used, to add the EXIF data, and none of the other image programs I have handy report any issue with it. That makes it likely that it's DPP that has the bug rather than everyone else. But I don't have the time or inclination to dig into the rules of adding EXIF data to prove who's at fault for not following the spec, I'm just looking for a fix or workaround, since this is costing me time shuffling files. And if I forget it's a real pain in the ass because I have to rename folders to get DPP to start again. 

I'm hoping someone else has already encountered this and knows whether (a) it's a specific tag or tags, or all tags added by Windows, or specific things in the tags (certain characters?), and (b) if there's a fix or circumvention (for instance, a way to make DPP ignore JPG files in a folder, other than to warn me if I'm about to overwrite one that already exists).

I am willing to take a closer look.  What Windows 10 built-in interface did you use, and what sort of changes did you make?  I want to try to reproduce your error.  Tell me how to reproduce the error.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, @Waddizzle - although this is a relatively clean (and relatively new) Windows system, I'd love for someone else to reproduce the problem. I'll post specific steps tomorrow when I get some free time, but basically after creating JPGs from CR2s with DPP, and then editing the JGPs with GIMP, I was viewing the folder in Windows Explorer. In the toolbar, on the left, click "Details pane", which should open on the right side of the Explorer window. Click on a JPG to select, and Windows will show info about it, such as "Date taken", "Tags", etc. I added information to the "Author", "Title", "Subject", "Comments", and "Tags", though not all fields on all images (more in the details tomorrow). After modifying several images, I noticed the DPP window (which I had minimized) was gone. When I attempted to restart it, it crashed with no message before I could get it to accept any input. When I moved the images I had changed into another folder, DPP then started with no issues. After getting DPP started, I opened the folder to which I had moved those modified images, and DPP crashed again. Other programs such as GIMP, Paint, etc. open those modified images with no complaints or issues.

Did you modify the file while DPP was open?  This could have been the issue.

Your error code is a memory violation.  Every application runs in its’ own memory space, and when an app crosses over into the memory space off another app, a memory access violation can occur.  Two applications are prohibited from opening the same file at the same time for this exact reason.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Pretty sure it's not open or corrupted files, for at least two reasons.

First, while the CR2s were still open in DPP, the JPGs in question were not, or at least DPP shouldn't have opened them because they were newly created by GIMP under different names. The JPGs created by DPP were not altered. And keep in mind I've done all of that many times, without any problems. It was only after adding tag data to the GIMP-created images from Windows (that was the new part) that the problem with DPP occurred.

Second and more significant, even after crash and restart, and reboot of the entire Windows system, with no other programs accessing any of the files, DPP still crashes when opening a folder containing those images, while no other program I've tried reports any issue with them. That points the finger pretty squarely at DPP failing to process something in the data in those files. Not that DPP should crash because another app has a file open somewhere either - that's a frequently encountered and easily handled condition.

(Side note - I'm a software developer with experience with Windows internals, among other platforms, so I understand the event codes. But since I don't have access to the DPP code, I couldn't see much point in me spending time chasing the details; only the support people at Canon can write a real fix. I hope they will. But I'm also still hoping someone else has seen this and has found a circumvention, or already knows if it's all tags, some tags, specific content of tags, only tags added by Windows, etc. And, of course, having someone else reproduce the error would be nice. It seems obvious, but we test because obvious things often aren't.)

"DPP failing to process something in the data in those files..."

Bingo, made my point!

Call Canon support 1 (800) 652-2666

EB

"Did you modify the file while DPP was open?"

This is one cause for what I suggested earlier.  DPP4 found info in a place it was not expected.

EB
Announcements