cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Hif to Jpeg on computer

BreegeEnglish
Apprentice

I somehow today saved about 300 photos in HIF.  I've never done that before.  would anyone know how to convert HIF to Jpeg on a computer.  Very frustrated

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Do you mean HEIC or HEIF?

Are you using a Macintosh?  If so, you can use Finder Quick Actions to perform the conversion:

1. Select all the HEIC or HEIF you wish to convert
  2. Right-click or Control-click the selected items
  3. Choose Quick Actions > Convert Image
  4. In the Conversion options, choose JPEG
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tiffany

Welcome to the forum!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model Canon equipment you are using and which operating system. Error messages? Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.  If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE

Thank you!

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

The Canon DPP software will do the conversion if they were produced by a Canon camera. DPP is free to download from the Canon support page for your camera if your camera is a Canon.

The Apple Photos.app included with macOS will do the conversion.

If your camera also saved a raw file, Canon DPP will convert the raw file to JPEG.

ImageMagick might do the conversion depending upon which libraries were included when it was built.

Some versions of gimp free software will do the conversion.

Some Canon cameras will do the conversion. It is in the playback menus of the camera.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

I usually work in RAW and then convert to jpeg, depending on what the image is.  I can't get DPP4 to convert for me.  I've been trying that.  I also tried to upload an image here and it wouldn't take it.

Did you ever find a solution for this? im having the same issue and i dont think i have the knowledge to fix it

You need to answer the same questions we posed the OP.

Did you try any of the solutions already presented?

@PancreasThief wrote:

Did you ever find a solution for this? im having the same issue and i dont think i have the knowledge to fix it

The first thing you need to do is go into the "Shooting 2" menu and disable "HDR Shooting - HDR PQ". Shooting 2 is where it is in all of the R manuals I have, so I'm confident you will find it there even though you didn't mention which R you own. This will prevent the HIF files from being created in the first place. Next you need to download/install DPP 4 and get acquainted with the "Batch Process..." command in the File pulldown. You will have to have your HIF files loaded and selected in DPP. I've used other converters and DPP, albeit slower, does the best job.

HEIF Conversion-1.jpg

Depending on how many HIF files you have, it may take some time. When I use HDR PQ, I don't save to HIF in camera but convert to HIF in DPP after editing my Raw files. So my conversion is from Raw. The screen shot was from another post about HIF to JPG that I posted.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements