cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change default software

rhodesmk
Contributor

When I bought my Rebel T3i a few years ago, it came with EOS Utility and Digital Photo Professional. 

Eventually I was notified of, and downloaded/installed, upgrades to EOS Utility 2 and Digital Photo Professional 4. 

However, when I connect my camera to my Windows 10 computer, the original EOS Utility opens, not teh Utility 2, and once the photos download, the original Digital Photo Professional opens, not the DPP 4 version. 

I am now downloading the most recent updates to the programs to install. Should I uninstall the earlier versions? Is that the only way to get the most recent software to open automatically for me? 

Thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6

Do an "Open With" and select DPP 4. Then click the box that says "Always use this program" or something similar.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

That should work if I'm opening from a Windows "window", by double clicking on the picture. 

Currently that is set to the Windows 10 default picture viewer, and I don't want to change that. 

What I'm trying to change is when the DPP opens as pictures are being downloaded from my camera. I plug in the camera, turn it on, EOS Utility opens, I select all, click download, they download, then DPP automatically opens...but it's the old version not the new one. I'm trying to find where to change that behavior, not the one that happens when I double-click a picture. 

Thanks. 

@rhodesmk wrote:

That should work if I'm opening from a Windows "window", by double clicking on the picture. 

Currently that is set to the Windows 10 default picture viewer, and I don't want to change that. 

What I'm trying to change is when the DPP opens as pictures are being downloaded from my camera. I plug in the camera, turn it on, EOS Utility opens, I select all, click download, they download, then DPP automatically opens...but it's the old version not the new one. I'm trying to find where to change that behavior, not the one that happens when I double-click a picture. 

Thanks. 

That's on the "Linked Software" tab in the "Preferences" menu.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

rhodesmk,

Suggest you uninstall DPP 3.x.  If you are not prompted to perform an action when a CD, USB, or other device (camera) is inserted or connected, you have set a default action previously.  Look for Auto Play in Control Panel and reset to defaults.  When the camera is connected, it will appear under the "Devices" heading at the botom of the window.  Then power off and /or safely remove your camera from the system.  Then connect a re-power.  Windows will now prompt you to select a one-time or default action for the connected device.  This is different from the file type association you mentioned previously.  Robert's instructions are spot on as well.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

rhodesmk,

Suggest you uninstall DPP 3.x.  If you are not prompted to perform an action when a CD, USB, or other device (camera) is inserted or connected, you have set a default action previously.  Look for Auto Play in Control Panel and reset to defaults.  When the camera is connected, it will appear under the "Devices" heading at the botom of the window.  Then power off and /or safely remove your camera from the system.  Then connect a re-power.  Windows will now prompt you to select a one-time or default action for the connected device.  This is different from the file type association you mentioned previously.  Robert's instructions are spot on as well.

I always ignore the prompt, and the software finds the EOS Utility applicaion, anyway.  I use multiple cameras, so sometimes I need EOS 2, and other times I need EOS 3.  I probably should tell it to run the EOS Launcher.  But, if it ain’t broken, I ain’t fixin’ it.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" But, if it ain’t broken, I ain’t fixin’ it.  "

My motto as well. 

Cheers

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements