cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon software

thirdherd
Contributor

Need some advice. I'm working with two Canon cameras and Canon software and Lighroom/Photoshop. I have the 6D full frame and the 7D small frame and use Canon utility and Digital Professional.  When I hook up a cable to download from my 6D MK2 the software replies it doesn't recognize the camera! How do I get it to recognize it? It presents no option to download from the SD card.

I'm able to download from my 7D MK2 with the cable but when I try and download off the CF card reader I can only get JPEG images and not RAW images. The software is Digital Photo Professional and EOS utility. I am able to download from the CF card with Nikon software and Lightroom, but when I try and load the image all I get is the thumbnail. I have been able to download from the SD cards from both models but not from the CF card in the 7D.,

I have no issues downloading via cable or SD card from my Nikons using Nikon software or Lighroom/Photoshop, but obviously I have much to learn about the Canon system.  Bear in mind I'm a bit of a novice with digital. Any short answers?

12 REPLIES 12

@thirdherd wrote:

Need some advice. I'm working with two Canon cameras and Canon software and Lighroom/Photoshop. I have the 6D full frame and the 7D small frame and use Canon utility and Digital Professional.  When I hook up a cable to download from my 6D MK2 the software replies it doesn't recognize the camera! How do I get it to recognize it? It presents no option to download from the SD card.

Make sure that you have the latest releases of DPP V4 and EOSU V3.

I'm able to download from my 7D MK2 with the cable but when I try and download off the CF card reader I can only get JPEG images and not RAW images. The software is Digital Photo Professional and EOS utility.

You're shooting RAW+JPEG? Is it possible that the RAW files are on the other card? The 7D2 gives you that option.

I am able to download from the CF card with Nikon software and Lightroom, but when I try and load the image all I get is the thumbnail. I have been able to download from the SD cards from both models but not from the CF card in the 7D.,

Take each card out and look at it through a card reader. What do you see then?

I have no issues downloading via cable or SD card from my Nikons using Nikon software or Lighroom/Photoshop, but obviously I have much to learn about the Canon system.  Bear in mind I'm a bit of a novice with digital. Any short answers?

Be sure that you're looking at the latest instruction manual, downloaded from Canon's Web site. Sometimes the printed manual is an abbreviated version. I don't recall that to be true for the 7D2, but I'm not certain.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for your time and advice guys.

I have done some research and have solved half the equation. I can download via cable from my 7d2 with EOS utility and work on the raw images in Digital Professional Photo.

I still get the "camera not recognized" when I try to do the same with my 6d2. I can download from the sd card with Nikon software and Windows 10 photo but in each case the RAW files are only thumbnails and are "not supported files" by either software.. I tried a fix I located on the support site in which I disabled the WI-FI  but still no go. I checked the versions of the utility and Digital Prof and both are current and since they process my 7d2 I have to assume they are not corrupted. The only thing that jumps out at me is the cable. It's not Canon but I did get it from B&H. I am able to download JPEG images from the 6d2 with Windows and Nikon software. So.......until the next cold rainy day when I can do more research I'll be shooting in both RAW/JPEG with the 6D and RAW with the 7d.

The Nikon software will not recognize the Canon RAW files (and Canon software will not recognize Nikon RAW files). So that behavior is not abnormal. 

The W10 Photos app will also not open RAW files if you don’t have a third party Codec app like the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack. 

If wifi is set to Disable and you are using EOSU 3.6 or later then give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART168040&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&search...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Problem solved! I didn't have to wait for the rainy day either. I took a chance and downloaded the EOS utility again, but was unable to extract the file for some reason. I did a restart on my PC and tried again and..viola, success. I can now download images from both my 6D2 and my 7D2. Between using Lightroom, Nikon and now Canon I tend to get a bit confused at times but I do look forward to learning the Canon system.

Thanks so much to jr. and Robertthefat. I'm very grateful.

@thirdherd wrote:

Problem solved! I didn't have to wait for the rainy day either. I took a chance and downloaded the EOS utility again, but was unable to extract the file for some reason. I did a restart on my PC and tried again and..viola, success. I can now download images from both my 6D2 and my 7D2. Between using Lightroom, Nikon and now Canon I tend to get a bit confused at times but I do look forward to learning the Canon system.

Thanks so much to jr. and Robertthefat. I'm very grateful.

I like using the EOS Utility to download from the camera because of the convenient way it allows me to rename files, and select a destination folder, as it performs the download.  Make sure LR is closed when you want to use EOSU.  LR can copy and import photos from a camera, too.  LR will override EOSU because it is already up and running.

I then use Microsoft SyncToy to backup the downloaded files to network drives. <—— plural. I also do periodic backups to USB devices with 4TB of storage.

I do nearly all of image processing in Lightroom from my network drive.  The Nikon software would useless with Canon RAW files, I would think.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What computer operating system?

With a Windows computer you can access the camera directly, see hats on the cards and copy rom the card to a desired folder.

2018-08-18.png

2018-08-18 (1).png

On a Mac you can use Image Capture to access the camera, but it doesn't seem to show both cards. It may just be accessing the one designated for playback on the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have no issues downloading via cable or SD card from my Nikons using Nikon software or (to) Lighroom/Photoshop, ..."

My question, why in the world would you use DPP or/or EOSU, or the much worse Nikon software, when you have LR/PS?

I shoot both Canon and Nikon and I have all the software from each company.  All of it pails in comparison to LR/PS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I guess I ask you the same qustion. Why are you so proficient in all three?

"Why are you so proficient in all three?"

Was this to me?  If it is, simple answer. I worked for a company that was 100% Nikon.  I choose to go with Canon. Obvious reason, their much better lens line up.

Each company offers software that works with their gear. I admit I am not proficient in Nikon's or Canon's software.  For those inquiries you need to ask Robert or John.  I know enough about them to know that they both fall way short of what LR?PS can do. I am proficient with LR/PS. I am not a super user but I can make a few edits!  I know super users that can do stuff that is nothing short of unbelievable.

I still own and use Nikon brand gear. Nikon has some nice stuff and at this point the D5 may be the best DSLR you can buy. But rarely is any gear or software chosen on a single spec. The entirety of the situation must be considered. Canon gear still comes out on top. The same approach needs to be used on your post editing software. LR/PS works with both brands and does more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements