cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon WebCam Utillity with the Mac Studio and Zoom

JenHen
Apprentice

I notice that the Canon EOS Webcam utility downloads don't cover MacOS Monterey 12.5.  I have the newest Mac Studio and plugging my Canon R into it. The software doesn't open. When I run Zoom in preferences under the video, it does not recognize the camera. I put the camera on Video mode and shut off enable wifi.  I updated my zoom.  I need the webcam utility to work on my Mac Studio. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JenHen,

Thanks for checking in with us.

As you suggested, we have not officially updated EOS Webcam Utility to be compatible with Monterey, but you're welcome to try the latest version for macOS Catalina:
https://www.usa.canon.com/support/eoswebcamutility

Select your camera and then switch the operating system to macOS Catalina. We just can't guarantee that it'll work on your computer setup, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Note that EOS Webcam Utility won't work if EOS Utility is running, even if it is running in the background. Check the icons on the top right of your screen and right click on any EOS Utility icons and close them.

It might also help to try disconnecting other accessories from the computer and to try different USB ports, since some USB ports can be stronger than others. You'll also want to make sure that the camera is set to shoot movies, not photos.

If your camera has Wi-Fi capabilities, make sure that Wi-Fi is turned off. Otherwise the USB connection won't work.

wanqiang79
Contributor

Simply download and install the free streaming software OBS.  It recognizes EOS Webcam Utility as a video source (you need to shutdown EOS Utility 3 first).  Use "Start Virtual Camera" in OBS, and OBS will present its output as OBS Virtual Camera to other apps.  Start Zoom, you should then be able to select OBS Virtual Camera as a new video source.  Good luck!

wanqiang79_0-1664336333774.png

JenHen
Apprentice

update Feb 2, 2023! I finally had time to call Canon support and talk with Regi. He was so smart. We opened my Mac Studio Library and went to preferences, and deleted the files in there with EOS Web Utility because it would not let the Web Utility pro run.  Then the OBS found my camera.  However, the latest Zoom and Facetime do not recognize it or Google Meet. Since the Mac Studio does not have a webcam and I use a Cintiqu pro, I need this to work because I have hired two new photographers to work for me, and we will need to do Google Meet often.  I spent about 5 hours on this yesterday and made slight progress but not to completion. It shouldn't be this hard.

Announcements