cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ImageBrowser EX 1.2.1 fails to load on a Windows8 system due to problems with Silverlight5

pbkessler
Contributor

I recently got a new Windows 8 computer and loaded my Canon A610 software on it.  I was unable to use it until I updated that software by replacing ZoomBrowser with ImageBrowser 1.2.1 (and  Silverlight5), as advised on Canon's Update website.

This allowed me to open and use ImageBrowser and the associated CameraWindow - but only that one time.

Since then I get a failure message at 80% loaded saying there is a problem with Silverlight.  I have reloaded Silverlight only to have the same thing occur - that is I'm able to use ImageBrower just once, and then get the failure message every time after that.

I have also confirmed that Silverlight works as I'm able to open websites I know require it, so it seems that only ImageBrowser thinks it is bad.

I have found the exact same failure being reported on the Microsoft Community Forum, but no solution is given.  Can anyone here help??

47 REPLIES 47

Product Expert Mike from the postings........Do you guys communicate this to your software developer management team? Our do we need to email call Canon in another venue?

stoney73
Contributor

New W8 computer, new install of Imagebrowser, same problem at 80% even after applying these fixes:
....reset browser reset to default settings

....apply Microsoft kb fix for a corrupt Silverlight installation

Still no joy.

I'm going back to Zoombrowser. At least it works. 😞

Why doesn't Canon do sonething about it?  People have better things to  donwith their time im sure! 

Canon im really sick of this software issue.  Why dont you put a disclaimer on your box stating a potential customer could have issues.

ICUTWO
Contributor

Canon dosent seem to care, im returning my camera*

ICUTWO, if the camera is otherwise good, I wouldn't return it because THAT s/w doesn't work. I much prefer freeware Microsoft Photo Essentials for organizing & tagging & even preliminary editing my photos, even over zoombrowser...  If the camera is otherwise satisfactory, why return it b/c of s/w that isn't as good as other freeware anyway?

Just sayin'.....

glady
Apprentice

My computer expert installed my silvelight, I have windows 8 64 bit, have the same problem. Talked to my computer expert , he said more than likely the problem was with the softwarwe. When I called Canon technical support, the first lady was very helpful as I just entered Windows 8 , not the 64 bit.  Still had problems, then I called Canon support the second time, this male said I did not install my Silverlight correctly, then said I should install The sofware on another computer with windows 8. Asked him how I was going to do this as I just have one computer with windows 8? He agreed it would not be very vesible to purchase a computer for this. Then informed me he had thousands of calls and not one person had the problem I had. But if he found an answer to my problem, he would call me. Just how is he going to remember one call , when he has thousnads of calls?  Anyway, did you ever get the problem solved?

I gave up! Why dosent Canon cone out with new software?

@glady wrote:

My computer expert installed my silvelight, I have windows 8 64 bit, have the same problem. Talked to my computer expert , he said more than likely the problem was with the softwarwe. When I called Canon technical support, the first lady was very helpful as I just entered Windows 8 , not the 64 bit.  Still had problems, then I called Canon support the second time, this male said I did not install my Silverlight correctly, then said I should install The sofware on another computer with windows 8. Asked him how I was going to do this as I just have one computer with windows 8? He agreed it would not be very vesible to purchase a computer for this. Then informed me he had thousands of calls and not one person had the problem I had. But if he found an answer to my problem, he would call me. Just how is he going to remember one call , when he has thousnads of calls?  Anyway, did you ever get the problem solved?

Gladys, have you tried clearing your Microsoft Internet Explorer program?

If you read back in this thread to about May you will see that some of us have had success by doing this..

Internet Explorer is permenently installed in all windows computers and even if you don't use it it is possible for it to go into a 'Working Offline' mode.  When this happens it can also adversley affect other programs, including ImageBrowser, by preventing them from accessing the internet. 

So it's worth trying - open Internet Explorer, ensure it is in the Working Online mode, and then close it.  Then try ImageBrowser.

Hope this helps.

I will try this, Thanks

Announcements