cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon CameraWindow and Mac OS Mojave for PowerShot G1x Mk3

CanalogSE
Enthusiast

The Canon software CameraWindow is not yet updated for Mac OS Mojave (and won´t ever be?) - I use this Canon Software to download images from my G1xMk3 - but with the next Mac OS update this software will not work anymore (32bit?). I have repeatedly been asking Canon for info re. this, but no reply so far.

Is ther anny other Canon software (e.g. DPP?) to be used for image download from G1xMk3 - I prefer not to use wireless WiFi download...

Please advise!

/B

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@CanalogSE wrote:

The Canon software CameraWindow is not yet updated for Mac OS Mojave (and won´t ever be?) - I use this Canon Software to download images from my G1xMk3 - but with the next Mac OS update this software will not work anymore (32bit?). I have repeatedly been asking Canon for info re. this, but no reply so far.

Is ther anny other Canon software (e.g. DPP?) to be used for image download from G1xMk3 - I prefer not to use wireless WiFi download...

Please advise!

/B

You do not know that the “software will not work” following the next update.  I think you are probably right, but you really do not what will happen.  But whose fault is it if the application does not work following an update?

I am not trying to defend Canon, not at all.  I am just pointing out how applications function and interact with the OS.  Microsoft and Apple have very different approaches on how they document and release their API, Application Program Interface.  Software developers treat APIs as “contracts” with the host Operating System.

Microsoft’s API is called the .NET Framework, and is a very open architecture.  It is free for anyone to use.  Any kid with a PC can use it, and learn from it. The .NET contracts do not suddenly change overnight, but rather they are extended.  How they are “extended” is not relevant to my point.  

Microsoft releases security updates to their OS that include these extensions.  Every few years Microsoft has been known to break some components of their API.  They do this in the form of an entirely new OS, like Windows XP, 7, 8, and now 10.

Apple’s API into their OS is not as open as Microsoft.  First and foremost, it is not free.  You must buy a license, or a subscription to use it.  Of course, the terms and conditions of the license are subject to change without notice when Apple releases a security update.  

Apple will deem these critical security updates to be a new OS  The updates are not an actual new OS.  But, they have to give it a new name, and pretend that it is a new OS, because they have BROKEN existing contracts within their API.  And, this is the fundamental problem with Apple platform, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Is that so...really??

Is that so...? Really?

And I do rent software...e.g. Photoshop CC and Lighroom Classic and CC...to my full satisfaction! 

The CameraWindow doc says, for MacOS support:

Mac OS X v10.9 to v10.12
(Wi-Fi connection is not available with 10.11/10.12.)

They don't even mention 10.13, 10.14, 10.15. This says to me they've basically abandoned MacOS support. Is it easy to keep up with every OS upgrade? No. But if they're not going to support MacOS they should admit it instead of letting it fade away and limp along just barely working. If they're going to support it, support it. I've done software development for 40 years,  and not every OS release will cause updating issues. And sometimes it's difficult if it happens that there is an API change in APIs in use. Or maybe they've been bitten using undocumented APIs? Or they ignored deprecated APIs?

In any case, they're not putting in the resources to keep CameraWindow up to date. To be fair, Canon is not the only manufacturer that does this.

It'd be nice if they used whatever (standard?) protocol so the camera mounts on the Mac desktop, like so many other cameras do.

I'm wondering if someone's come up with an open source alternative.

OK, I'm done.

Announcements