cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot use "Remote live view shooting" in Android app for 6D mk II

DanHevs
Apprentice

I am trying to use remote live view shooting from an Android device (Nokia 6.1) for my 6D mk II.  Whenever I select "Remote live view shooting" from the Camera Connect app I get this error: "Cannot use this function with the current settings on this camera for images viewable via connection".

Remote live view shooting works fine from the EOS Utility running on a Windows desktop connected via wifi.  I am also able to download images from the camera to my phone using Camera Connect.

The app is version 2.9.0.13 build 1249.

Can anybody suggest any camera settings that might be causing this failure or any other possible fixes?

Happy to provide more details of my setup/settings if you tell me what might be relevant.

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Sorry to learn of your issue:

We don't have any information on what settings you have, which rather limits the advice we can give.  Still, the first thing is that the camera must be in one of the following modes: "P", "Tv", "Av", "M" or "C".

If you are already using those modes and you have set up any customization, what I would suggest is to save your current settings to one of the C1-3 custom modes.  Then do a settings reset.   See if the functions work correctly, then, one at a time, put back on the settings you have made.  That should tell you what is causing the conflict.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for your help Tronhard, this makes sense.  Particularly as I bought the camera second-hand so have no idea what settings might have been altered.

I have been using "Av" mode all along, as I saw this suggestion in threads relating to other models.

I have saved my settings to C1 and then reset settings with "Clear all camera settings".  This seems to have worked.

The only changes I then made were to "Wireless communication settings" -> "Wi-Fi" -> "Enable" and "Bluetooth function" -> "Smartphone".

I can still view photos on the camera from the app so connecting still seems to be fine, but I get the same error as before when trying to use "remote live view shooting".

Any further ideas?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Interesting question and will watch for other replies. I have a T7 and a cable remote. Pondering using my Android. How far will the Android work from the camera?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

How far away?  I would think that would depend pretty heavily on the type of connection that you use for remote shooting.  

The limitation imposed by a USB cable connection is obvious.  Wi-FI will depend on the actual hotspot you are using, and your immediate surroundings. I think the best easiest connection is via Bluetooth.  

Wi-Fi with a phone tends to drop out because the phones like to switch to the phone service providers Wi-Fi, which means your camera is on a different Wi-Fi network. If you use a tablet that is Wi-Fi only, no phone service, this network dropout problem is not an issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The thing is the message is about settings, rather than it cannot connect.  I would have thought that if it was about a failure of the cable, wireless or Bluetooth, it would give give a message about no connection available.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I agree, Trevor.  The OP’s issue seems related to settings.  I was just responding to the question about distance.

I haven't tried testing the range, so far I have only used it from within the same room (a few metres).  It hasn't dropped out on me.

It is worth noting that with this setup, the phone appears to be connecting directly to the camera as a wifi hotspot (not through my home wireless network as was happening with the EOS utility).  I guess this is all negotiated via bluetooth?  So the range might not be as good as your home wifi network given the camera likely has a worse antenna and is battery powered.  But on the flip side it wouldn't be reliant on a home network to function.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Connecting the camera to smart devices using Bluetooth makes easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy.  Make sure that you are in a Creative shooting mode, Bluetooth is used to automatically configure the Wi-Fi connection with the Bluetooth connected device.

8AB40745-9C87-457D-B958-169AAE2FBFF5.jpeg

I have not used an Android phone, only a WiFi only iPad.

The iPad connects to a WAP, Wi-Fi Access Point, and remains connected.  When I establish the Bluetooth connection between iPad and camera, the automation kicks into gear.  Both devices can communicate on the same wireless network.

Please note, your WAP may have security settings that prevent the camera from connecting.

Announcements