cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon DPP4 software and EOS Utilities (2 and 3) won't recognize my camera.

Wayne3
Enthusiast

Hi crew, 

I recently bought a Canon EOS 90D.  I previously had an old Rebel 4. It seems I can upload pictures from the 90D onto my Windows computer, but EOS Utilities says that it can't recognize my camera. My editing program DPP4 doesn't show any downloaded pictures for the date of my pictures. Yet, when I went into Image Browser EX and hit "most recent" my pictures came up.  I don't mind working around EOS Utilities to down load (It seems I can use Windows for that). but I really want my DPP4 program to be usable.  DPP4 still shows years of Rebel pictures, just not the 90D pictures.  How can I get DPP4 to recognize my camera?

Thanks Wayne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Wayne3 wrote:

Thanks Waddizzle, It is a Intel based computer using Windows 10. I'll try a different cable on a different port. I'm using the same port that is successfully uploading my Rebel pictures, but I am using a different cable (just because the two cameras came with different cables, but perhaps that is silly). Odd that the obsolete software is what is working. 

Wayne

It sounds like you are using a tower workstation of some kind, instead of a laptop.  Many workstations will use a passive USB port expander to provide USB ports on the front of panel.  Many passive port expanders do not provide enough power to individual ports.  However, the ports on the back of a tower workstation are typically coming directly from the motherboard.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think ImageBrowser is obsolete, and has been for many years.  What type of computer are you using?  Is it Intel based, or AMD based?  Is it an Apple Mac of some kind?   Did you build the computer yourself?  

Make sure you try a different USB cable and all of the different ports on your computer, too.

Wayne3
Enthusiast

Thanks Waddizzle, It is a Intel based computer using Windows 10. I'll try a different cable on a different port. I'm using the same port that is successfully uploading my Rebel pictures, but I am using a different cable (just because the two cameras came with different cables, but perhaps that is silly). Odd that the obsolete software is what is working. 

Wayne

It worked. Thanks Waddizzle. I don't understand it. Somehow the Rebel I can use any USB Port, the 90D uses the USB port on the back of my computer. But the picture I just took showed up both in EOS Utilities and DPP4.  Technology is still a mystery to me LOL. 

Wayne

@Wayne3 wrote:

Wayne

It sounds like you are using a tower workstation of some kind, instead of a laptop.  Many workstations will use a passive USB port expander to provide USB ports on the front of panel.  Many passive port expanders do not provide enough power to individual ports.  However, the ports on the back of a tower workstation are typically coming directly from the motherboard.  

Announcements