cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

photographing total eclipse april 8 with canon rebel T6 - filter advice needed

stargirl23
Contributor

i have a few questions about photographing the total solar eclipse in april. i've never photographed a total solar eclipse before. i photographed a partial solar eclipse in 2021, just by holding a piece of welder's glass in front of the lens.

i have an old canon rebel T6. i have the 18-55mm and the 75-300mm lit lenses plus a nifty fifty 50mm lens.

my questions are

1) which of the lenses that i own listed above would be best to use? i assume the 75-300 lens is best. that's what i use on the attached photo. will i be able to photograph any of the details like the coronal streamers with the 75-300mm lens? i'm not sure why my attempt turned out a little soft around the edges unless it's just the limitations of the lens.

2) i saw this solar filter on the Great American Eclipse website. but i'm not sure what size filter i need. if i use the 18-55mm lens or 75-300 lenses what size should i get? it only comes in 3 sizes, 50mm, 70mm, and 90mm. would this be just as good as buying a better quality solar filter?https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/eclipse-viewing/single-daystar-filter

3) if i buy a real filter rather than the cardboard one, what kind of solar filter and size should i get?

4) what kind of solar filter will give me an orange sun rather than a greenish sun like welder's glass?

IMG_6774.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Visit the Thousand Oaks Optical website.

Don't mess around with your sensor or eyes.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 075222.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

+1 for thousand oaks optical.

PS, your images are way overexposed. Make sure to practice before the big day.

The 75-300 is pretty soft, and a little short. I suggest you rent a Sigma or Tamron 150-600 for the event. Note that you have to take the filter off to see the streamers, which should only be done at totality.

This is the size of the sun in the frame with a 600 mm lens:

IMG_0173.jpeg

what setting should i use so they're not overexposed? i used 300mm ISO 100 f5.6.

unfortunately i can't afford to buy a new lens. especially on something that i will only use once.

also the main question of what filter to use, or if the cardboard filter will suffice and what size to get?

I suggest you go to Lens Rentals and see how much it costs to rent one.

A cardboard filter is fine, if it is a real solar filter. But note that if you don't have an optical quality filter, you won't get good results.

As to the exposure, it depends what filter you have, so I can't make recommendations. You can look on line for exposure recommendations at totality when you take the filter off.

unfortunately i'm not in a position to go to any lens rentals. i live overseas and will be visiting my parents in texas in a tiny town.

my questions in the OP were also about what filter to get and what size for the 75-300mm lens.

@stargirl23 wrote:

unfortunately i'm not in a position to go to any lens rentals. i live overseas and will be visiting my parents in texas in a tiny town.

my questions in the OP were also about what filter to get and what size for the 75-300mm lens.

If you want a screw-in filter the filter size would be indicated on the front of the lens and inside the lens cap. Maybe 72mm or 77mm. 

If you want the cardboard type measure the outside diameter of the lens. Probably the 90mm one. 

Based on the description both filters will have the same filter material. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Have your parents rent it for you. Believe me, the quality will be *much* better. Lens Rentals makes it easy - all online and through the mail.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

How to Photograph a Solar Eclipse | B&H eXplora (bhphotovideo.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements