cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which tripod mount for EF 55-250?

Eduval004
Apprentice

My daughter has an EF 55-250 lens for her EOS Rebel T6i. It is heavy for her tripod and won’t stay level. I’m looking for a lens collar or something that will help with the center of gravity. What should I purchase?

5 REPLIES 5

normadel
Authority
Authority

It is obvious just looking at a picture of this lens that there is no space on it for a tripod mount to go.

Getting a heavier-duty tripod is the way to go here.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Normadel is correct about the collar.  There is no place to mount such an accessory.  

Tripod wise.  See this thread.  There are a few suggestions from good quality affordable to high end.  

EOS Rebel XS 35mm tripod ***& wireless shutter rel... - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Eduva1004,

As far as lenses go, the 550-250 is not a very heavy lens.

Without knowing what kind of tripod your daughter has, maybe you could look at an Arca Swiss quick release plate and clamp.

Steve Thomas

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

As noted, the EF-S 55-250mm series of lenses does not allow for an optional lens collar.  Even if it did, I would think carrying the extra weight of a more robust tripod might not be the optimal solution.  However, I still agree with the others.  Buy a more robust tripod before the camera falls off or the tripod tips over.

I do not recommend shopping for any camera accessories on the Amazon marketplace.  There are other retailers with similar marketplaces, such as Best Buy, which do not seem to offer products sold by third party vendors but they do.

I recommend an online camera retailer such as B&H or Adorama, just to name two.  I do not normally recommend “travel tripods” because the ultra-light weight of some brands make them vulnerable to breezes and wind gusts.  TIMBER!!!

For a quality travel tripod in the $100-$200 range, I’d recommend the following brands:  Sirui, Benro, Oben, and others in that price range with “Arca-Swiss” camera mounts.  Manfrotto is another quality brand, but many of their tripods do not use the very popular “Arca-Swiss” moiunt.  

Shy away from tripods costing less than $100, as those are best used with point-and-shoot cameras or cell phones.  Most of them are made from easily breakable and unstable plastic.  They also lack an interchangeable head, which is used to mount the camera.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Perhaps a sliding mount like this to still use what you have. You can shift the center of balance. Plus they are not expensive

51+CsUFnmLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements