cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UHS-1 in a UHS-2 slot?

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Can I use SD cards rated as UHS-1 in a camera that is compatible with UHS - 2 cards, or would I have to buy new memory cards?

Steve Thomas

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Steve,

In some cases you might be able to get away with using a UHS-1 card in a UHS-2 slot.  It might work for photos.  Unless specified, I wouldn't do it

Here's where you can run into problems.  High speed continuous shooting and video.

It's best to use cards rated for your body.  I believe some body's do support both.  In some cases, performance can only be guaranteed if you use a higher spec card.  

Check your manual or specs.  It will tell you which cards can be used and if there are any limitations. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Agreed.  If your gear can work with UHS-II cards, they can have either double or triple the sustained write speed.  That's the most important spec for cards.  I believe UHS-I cards max out at V30 (30 MBps or 240 Mbps).  Whereas UHS-II cards are available in V60 and V90 versions (for up to 90 MBps or 720 Mbps).

Even if using a V90 card, if RAW images average say 45 MB, you'd still fill up the camera's buffer if attempting to take a lot of continuous images.  So if your camera can additionally work with CFexpress, that can really then give you very fast writes to much better continuous shooting.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

normadel
Authority
Authority

You can use either one. Where the higher spec makes a difference is in high-speed continuous shooting or video. Faster write speeds of memory cards won't hold up shooting like a slower-to-write card can.

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

You certainly *can* use UHS-1 cards in a UHS-2 slot, or vice versa, and it will basically work.  The card and camera will simply ignore the extra pins, and you will get UHS-1 performance.

But if your camera needs faster UHS-2 speeds -- e.g. for burst shooting, or for video shooting -- then you will need *both* ends of the connection to upport UHS-2 -- i.e the card and the camera.  So yes, that means new cards.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Don’t try it.  You won’t like it.  Buy UHS-II memory cards, so that you do not lose data.

Will a UHS-I card work?  Yes, but camera performance can and will be significantly degraded.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Thank you all.

That helps.

Moderators... Can I give an Accepted Solution to everyone? 😀

Steve Thomas

I believe you can (seen multiple accepted solutions on other topics).  Though I don't know if there's any limit.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Theoretically, yes, though we tend to prefer that users limit themselves to just one per thread to keep things nice, neat, and concise.  We recommended picking the one that best sums up the solution in a single post.

Announcements