cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tripod screw won't fit bottom of EOS Rebel T3i

rhodesmk
Contributor

I purchased a Rebel 3Ti and a Canon Deluxe Tripod 300. The screw on the tripod mount doesn't seem to fit the hole in the bottom of the camera. It goes in a little, but won't tighten, leaving the camera to swivel easily and rock when touched.

This isn't normal, right? How do I test if it's the screw or the hole in the camera?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I'm detaching the plate from the tripod. And, of course, after I posted this question, it dawned on me I have an older tripod from which I could detach the plate and see if that screw fits the camera. This way, I should know of the problem is with the screw's threads or the threads inside the camera's receiving hole (whatever that is called!).

That one, from a "Silk" brand tripod, works perfectly. I just need to have the plate from the Canon Tripod replaced.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I just wish I'd thought of this solution before posting my question. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

It should be a 1/4 inch course thread (20 threads per inch) so all you need is a bolt & nut that are that thread (very common in North America) The nut should fit the stud on the tripod & the bolt should fit into the bottom of the camera & turn in about 4 full rotations BY HAND before bottoming, but it may go in more than 4 turns.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Measuring/US-TPI.aspx

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

hernhombeecaryb
Contributor

You may be missing a washer or rubber spacer on the bolt. If you ever detached the bolt from the tripod or shoe it can happen. Pickup a rubber washer at a hardware store to take up slack in the shaft.

The above may be correct but if it is the part you screw into the camera MUST turn in at least 3 full turns before starting too get tight. If it's only going in 1 to 2 turns before binding something's wrong & you need to check the threads.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority
The threads should both be the same 1/4" with 20/inch threads.

Are you detaching the quick release plate from the tripod whilst trying to attach it to the camera? It can be awkward trying to screw the camera onto the thread when the plate is on the tripod. You are in effect screwing a tripod onto a camera rather than just screwing the plate onto the camera. You can't see what you are doing, and it is hard to line the thing up right.

I don't see any rubber spacers or washers on that particular tripod; just a flat corked surface.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/763809-REG/Canon_6195A006_DELUXE_TRIPOD_300_w_CARRYING.html/c/...
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Yes, I'm detaching the plate from the tripod. And, of course, after I posted this question, it dawned on me I have an older tripod from which I could detach the plate and see if that screw fits the camera. This way, I should know of the problem is with the screw's threads or the threads inside the camera's receiving hole (whatever that is called!).

That one, from a "Silk" brand tripod, works perfectly. I just need to have the plate from the Canon Tripod replaced.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I just wish I'd thought of this solution before posting my question. 🙂

ScottyP
Authority
You might consider returning the whole 'pod and getting one that has a ballhead that uses a standard Arca Swiss form plate. That way you can keep multiple plates on multiple bodies and multiple lenses with tripod rings, so you can switch around quickly and easily.

The thing about tripods I heard but ignored was to spend up for a good one the first time, or you end up with a couple of unused poor quality "starter tripods" collecting dust first before you then go buy a good quality one anyway. ;).

The one you have now has only a 4.4 pound load capacity. That is unlikely to be as steady as you want it to be in the long run, especially with any kind of heavier lens or in a windy situation. If you search a website like B&H you can filter the 100's of tripods by their max load capacity, which I would think should be more like 15 pounds at minimum to be sure you have a solid setup. You don't want it to just be strong enough not to fail under the weight of the camera; you want it overbuilt enough to hold it steady without vibration. Remember it is not just for taking regular pictures hands-free; a main purpose is slow shutter shooting where camera shake will make your images unsharp.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

JMcCann
Contributor

Let me start by saying, I am new to photography...

I recently inherited a Canon EOS 250D that was made overseas. From what I have heard, the 250D is the same as the Rebel SL3 that is made here in the U-S. My first purchase after receiving the camera was buying a Manfrotto 290 3-way head tripod. When I received the tripod in the mail, I soon found that the screw on top of the head of this Manfrotto tripod is a bit too big and does NOT fit the 250D camera body.

Is there an adapter that can be bought from either from Manfrotto or Canon or third-party retailer (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.) that can make this tripod and camera body fit together?

Announcements