cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sceprety memory cards for EOS Rebel T7

StanD
Apprentice

I'm totally uninformed about memory cards and need to know if one I've picked out from Amazon will be ok.

It's called Sceprety SD Card 1TB High Speed Memory Card.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would only trust reputable brands of memory cards.  And also, to never get them from Amazon as there are too many unknown brands or counterfeit products.

I have only used both SanDisk and Angelbird cards.  All purchased from B&H Photo which is also an authorized Canon reseller.

I've seen others on here mention Lexar cards; those are definitely in the reputable brand category.

In terms of capacity, it could very well be the case where your camera may not do well with such a high capacity card.   Look to 32 GB cards or perhaps max out at 64 GB.

Finally, ensure to only purchase full-sized SD cards and not micro-sized that require adapters.  The micro-sized cards are known to cause numerous issues.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

normadel
Authority
Authority

Whatever brand of card you use, 1 TB is WAY too big, even assuming your camera will handle it.

Using such a huge capacity card makes it too tempting to leave your photos on it for a long time. This is risky. Memory cards can and do fail. You don't want to lose many gigabytes of files all at once.  Better to have and use multiple smaller cards, switching them out if you fill them. 16-32 GB cards hold a LOT of photos.

Anyway, whatever size cards you use, it is good practice to not leave files on them, in or out of camera, for extended periods. Get in the habit of moving photos to your computer, or external media (hard drives, flash drives, etc.) for storage. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would only trust reputable brands of memory cards.  And also, to never get them from Amazon as there are too many unknown brands or counterfeit products.

I have only used both SanDisk and Angelbird cards.  All purchased from B&H Photo which is also an authorized Canon reseller.

I've seen others on here mention Lexar cards; those are definitely in the reputable brand category.

In terms of capacity, it could very well be the case where your camera may not do well with such a high capacity card.   Look to 32 GB cards or perhaps max out at 64 GB.

Finally, ensure to only purchase full-sized SD cards and not micro-sized that require adapters.  The micro-sized cards are known to cause numerous issues.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Whatever brand of card you use, 1 TB is WAY too big, even assuming your camera will handle it.

Using such a huge capacity card makes it too tempting to leave your photos on it for a long time. This is risky. Memory cards can and do fail. You don't want to lose many gigabytes of files all at once.  Better to have and use multiple smaller cards, switching them out if you fill them. 16-32 GB cards hold a LOT of photos.

Anyway, whatever size cards you use, it is good practice to not leave files on them, in or out of camera, for extended periods. Get in the habit of moving photos to your computer, or external media (hard drives, flash drives, etc.) for storage. 

Thank you! I appreciate getting the helpful information.

Announcements