cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens shades? - Lens Hood Recommendations

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I'm spending a few bucks and anticipate buying extra lens shades (proper term?) for my upcoming photo shoot the end of the month. Two lenses are 58mm and one is 72 mm. I already have one 58 mm tulip shade but if I change lenses, not real excited about changing the lens shade? Also, which one is recommended: tubular or tulip shape? I have seen both used. Advice is most welcome from the group. Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Did you mean to say lens hoods? If you own Canon lenses, there should be a standard hood that would have either come with the lens, or one that you can purchase separately.

Each lens hood is fairly specific to the lens.  Petal-shaped ones are typically found on wide angle lenses.  If they were to use a barrel type, that would lead to extra vignetting.   The barrel type are for standard and telephoto lenses.

You can definitely keep the lens hoods attached to the lens when swapping lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hello, John!

To add to Ricky's advice I will say that, if at all possible, buy a Canon brand lens hood. They are more expensive but I've went cheap a few times and ended up getting a Canon hood in the end. Yes, they are all plastic, but the Canon hoods are sturdier and they use better coatings, or flocking, or grooves inside the barrel to absorb or disperse light (however you describe it?), plus they have a few features that most 3rd party makers don't have, like a latch/button that assures the hood can't accidently fall off, and are usually reversible for storing the lens and hood together. As Ricky mentioned, they are made for a specific lens, so whatever brand you get just make sure it is for your lens model.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Thanks. Lenses are regular, not wide angle. Will look at barrel type as Ricky suggests. The 18-55mm lens came with a tulip hood but seeing if there was something else. Now to get the credit card out!

John

amfoto1
Authority

EXACTLY what lenses are you looking to fit hoods to?

Without knowing that, we can't help you at all. Anything we suggest is more likely to be wrong than right.

For example, there have been at least 6 or 8 different Canon EF-S 18-55mm lenses over the years... plus at least one EF-M 18-55mm. There are three or four different lens hoods that fit one or another of those lenses.

So help us help you by giving us more info about the lenses you're trying to fit with a hood (which is a very good idea, BTW).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

EF-28-135mm which is 72mm and 75-300mm which is 58mm. Going by the metric listed on the lens front.

John

Note that the millimeter values are there to denote what diameter screw-on filters you'd need to use.

According to Ken Rockwell, the hood for the EF 28-135mm would be an EW-78BII (it wasn't included with the lens).

Which specific version of the 75-300mm do you have?  It could be that the hood would have changed for different versions of it.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Canon has only produced one EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens (1998), so that's simple enough. You need Canon hood EW-78BII or the equivalent. I see the Canon hood is no longer listed at B&H Photo, probably because the lens has been discontinued... but they do offer a less expensive Vello EW-78BII "clone" for $16.95. Typically those clones work, but aren't as nicely finished as the Canon OEM hoods.

When I wrote "exactly" I really was hoping for a bit more lens info. The complete lens title can be very important  because over 30 years of production there are often multiple versions of a lens. In fact, Canon has made seven different versions of the 75-300mm lens over the years. It appears the four most recent share the same ET-60 lens hood. Without further research, I don't know what the earlier versions of that lens use:

• EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 (1991)............... lens hood ?
  • EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM (1992)...... lens hood ?
  • EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 II (1995)............ lens hood ?
  • EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 II USM (1995)... lens hood ET-60
  • EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (1995).... lens hood ET-60
  • EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III (1999)............. lens hood ET-60
  • EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM (1999).... lens hood ET-60

If yours is one of these last four versions, you shouldn't have any problem. The final version of that lens (EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM) is still in production, so B&H Photo has the OEM Canon ET-60 hood available ($29.95). There's also a cheaper Vello "clone" of it ($16.95). Other retailers may offer both of these or some other brands of "clones".

Both the EW-78BII and the ET-60 are "bayonet mount" hoods that do not use the filter threads (58mm and 72mm on these particular lenses) to attach. Look closely at the front barrel of your lenses and you'll see where they mount. They rotate onto the hood and "click" into place. They're reversible on the lens, too, for more compact storage. The EW-78BII  is a "tulip" style hood, so needs to be correctly oriented on the lens (to avoid vignetting). The ET-60 is a more plain type of hood.

These hoods are good protecting the lens from raindrops, snowflakes and physical bumps, as well as from oblique light to improve image quality. Canon includes a hood with their "L" series lenses, but not with the non-L lenses.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Announcements