cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update for Meike EF-RF Control Ring Adapter

slimmy0
Apprentice

Hi,

I bought the Meike EF-RF Control ring adapter. It works very well with my Canon EF lenses, but I have a slight issue with the focus of my Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 G1 at 24mm when focusing to infinity (my EOS R8 cannot focus and even in MF, I can't find any focus)

I thought of a lens issue, but it works perfectly with my 6D, and it also works on the R8 with the Canon EF-RF adapter.

I browsed Meike's website but could not find the firmware update for the control ring adapter, has anyone found it?

4 REPLIES 4

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Use the official Canon EF-RF Mount adapter. 3rd Party Mount adapters are causing all kinds of problems with cameras. Your lens may use what is called "Focus By Wire". The lens uses the AF Motor for manual focus to work. Which requires the lens and the camera to communicate.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Meike firmware for the MK-EFTR-B.  I know where it is, but good luck trying to figure out how to install it.  No instructions are included.  Its..  dub dub dub dot mkgrip dot com forwardslash down dot html

For your R8, I'd follow Demetrius' suggestion.  Stick with the Canon adapter(s).  There is no reason to go Meike unless you need drop in filters or dial adjustable ND (MK-EFTR-C)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Having just struggled through this, this is what I did to install the Meike firmware...

1. Go to http://mkgrip.com/down.html and scroll down until you see the two MK-EFTR-B files.  Click to download them both.
meq123_1-1697916107650.png
2. You should now have the two files as follows (at time of writing):
Meike MK-EFTR-B_upload_202201_24_202201241845242902.rar   (contains EFTR-B update setup files.exe)
Meike MK-EFTR-B_upload_202205_16_202205161500391753.rar   (contains EFTRB0_V0.7_20220511.sky)

Caveat: The following was performed under Windows 10.  Things may differ for other versions,,.

3. Extract the two files from the .rar files.  The ".sky" file is the firmware, and the .exe is the installer.

4. Run the exe file to install the installer.  The buttons and screens are all in Chinese, so I had to make intelligent guesses as to what to click (I think it was all the default highlighted ones though).  This exe will install two things: a) the firmware installer program (called just "Update"), and b) a USB to serial (COM port) driver

5. Using a USB-C cable, connect the Meike adapter to your computer.  It should be detected and connected.  Run the "Update" program (there should be a link on your desktop).  Fortunately, the screens/buttons are in English at this point! 🙂  Browse to where your firmware file is stored and click the update button.  The progress bar should run and finish the install.
meq123_2-1697916194305.png

OR NOT! 

5b. For me I got an error 4201 (Failed to find the device).  I checked with device manager and saw the devie was there as COM3, so huh?  I rebooted my PC, but that didn't work.  So then I went to "Add/Remove Programs" and uninstalled the USB to serial driver that the .exe had installed.  (I already had a previous driver for USBtiny Arduino programming, so thought this might be a conflict).  Sure enough, after the uninstall, I re-ran "Update" and it worked.  Yay! YMMV.

Good luck!

MastroTomato
Apprentice

I had the same problem with my Tamron 18-400 f/3.5-6.3. I was able to solve the problem by simply updating the firmware of my EOS R10, not sure why this fixed the issue though...
I tried and tried to update the firmware on the adapter but it simply is not picket up by the computer. Not sure if this helps, but it worked for me and if you have an available firmware update for your camera it might just work!

Announcements