cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter Question re RF 15-35mm f/2.8 L

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I am one of those people who likes to use a protective filter on my lenses, especially for a lens with a hood that doesn't offer much protection, like the RF 15-35. So, do I need an ultra-thin filter (vs. regular thickness) for my 15-35 in order to avoid seeing the filter frame in the picture at 15mm? I really like B+W (clear) filters but they don't make ultra-thin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

According to Ken Rockwell, there is no need for thin filters:

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/lenses/15-35mm-f28.htm

Scroll way down the page.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

According to Ken Rockwell, there is no need for thin filters:

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/lenses/15-35mm-f28.htm

Scroll way down the page.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I have a clear filter on my 15-35, I use standard Bower, Tiffen or B&W. I don't see any frame at 15mm. 👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I think you're fine for the 15-35. I have that lens, with a Freewell magnetic filter holder. I stacked a CPL AND an ND on there (which isn't even a real combination), and on the R5, in stills mode, using the full sensor, got no vignetting at F/2.8 or F/22. In fact sticking my finger in from the edge of the lens, there even seemed to be a decent bit of spare room.

Other lenses may vary, though.

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses! I'll go ahead and order my usual type of filter.

@Wandalynnwrote:

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses! I'll go ahead and order my usual type of filter.

Do not order a UV filter. There is a UV filter layer built into the image sensor assembly.

I use B+W Clear Nano filters to keep my front element clean, not for protection against impacts.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the heads-up. I stopped using UV filters several years ago, switching to the clear ones. I also prefer those B+W Clear Nano filters, which is what I ordered this morning from Adorama. They are very nice. My only lens that I can't put a protective filter on is my EF 8-15mm fisheye. So, I'm extremely careful about what I expose it to and always replace the cap after each shot.

Announcements