cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EW-63C lens hood creates vignette effect on the EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 III lens

EuSoyVictor
Apprentice

Hello! Recently I bought a EW-63C lens hood for my EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 III lens. On the internet, it says that the lens hood is for the IS STM one, and barely found any information about the compatibility of the hood with my lens. The problem I have is: firstly, the hood has a red dot, and according to the internet, I should rotate it on my lenses until it locks on the red dot from my lens, but the lens doesn't have any kind of a dot, and so, the lens hood just rotates, barely locks at a point, and it doesn't even stay locked for too long. And secondly, no matter how hard I try to find a sweet spot for the lens hood to sit on my lens, when I test my focus, at some point I can see a bit of the lens hood in the picture. What should I do? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That is not the correct lens hood. 

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/118131/which-lens-hood-should-i-use-for-ef-s-18-55mm-iii-k...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Stephen

Hey there! Which camera did your kit lens come with?

Hi! It's the EOS 4000D.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That is not the correct lens hood. 

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/118131/which-lens-hood-should-i-use-for-ef-s-18-55mm-iii-k...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The EW-60C looks to be a cylindrical lens hood. Isn't that only for prime lenses?

It’s for lenses where the front ring rotates. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@EuSoyVictor wrote:

The EW-60C looks to be a cylindrical lens hood. Isn't that only for prime lenses?

“Cylindrical” shaped lens hoods can be used on both zoom and prime lenses.   “Petal” shaped hoods are also used on both zoom lenses and prime lenses. If the front of the lens rotates as you focus or zoom, it will almost always have a cylindrical shaped hood.

It can also just be a design preference. Here is an example of two Canon 70-200mm zoom lenses where one has a cylindrical shaped hood and one has a petal shaped hood. (Both of these lenses have non rotating front elements and both have internal focusing)

AF2138C6-6E1C-4067-A87C-3EC8D3EB1D97.jpeg

Mike Sowsun
Announcements