cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XS 35mm tripod ***& wireless shutter release*** recommendations

loakemi
Apprentice

Hi! I recently started using the Canon Eos Rebel XS film camera and am wondering if anyone has recommendations for tripods AND wireless shutter release? I'm a beginner, so I'd like to purchase something on the lower end of the price range. 

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When I first started out, I used a mefoto roadtrip (aluminum).   Definitely affordable and it fit the bill at the time.

However, a couple years ago, I went all in on a Really Right Stuff setup to include their panorama gear.  One thing I found when researching tripods before this purchase was that many had owned various tripods along the way.  And if they could go back in time, they would have gotten one really good tripod up front.

Granted, if you have limited budget and need something now, something like the mefoto would suffice.  However, if you find yourself wanting to get something a bit better, then avoid those incremental updates and just continue to save up for a really good one.  i.e. you can end up wasting quite a bit of money on mid-range tripods.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ And if they could go back in time, they would have gotten one really good tripod up front. “

Maybe that is why I own 5 tripods plus a hi-hat.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I purchased a Zomei Q555 on Amazon 6 years ago.  Light, inexpensive, Arca Swiss head and it went to Alaska with me this summer.  I normally shoot hand held, but this thing has proven itself time and time again.  Its highly adjustable (22.7" to 62.5") and packs well (17.5" when folded).  Its mostly metal (aluminum), so light (2.9lbs) and very strong.   Stay away from tripods with a lot of plastic.  The Q555 doesn't convert to a mono-pod, but they have some which do and are still very reasonably priced.  I didn't need this, but might grab one with this capability next time.  Take a look.  There are lots of choices when it comes to tripods.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you! This is within my budget. However, I'm getting tripped up on their description as being for DSLR cameras. Does this work with film cameras? This is the specific model I'm looking at: Amazon.com : Zomei Q555 62.5'' Camera Tripod,Lightweight and Compact Aluminum Portable Travel Tripod...

Feel free to link the one you've used, if it's for film and still available on Amzn. Thanks again!

FYI, @Rick, I'm fine with this since Canon doesn't make tripods, so if you want to link the one you have experience with at a well-known Dealer, or direct from Amazon, that's ok. 

It will work fine. Cameras are cameras; tripods won't know the difference. The most important feature is rigidity. If Rick used that with his cameras it will work fine with yours.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks Stephen.  👍

@loakemi.  The one you linked is the one I have.  In black, but the burnt orange one looks cool too.  The head comes with a plate.  Your camera has the mount.

shadowsports_0-1697124664200.pngshadowsports_1-1697124712168.png

Easy on off.  Look at a couple of options and see what fits your budget and needs the best.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you! 🙂 This is so helpful. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

It will work fine. Cameras are cameras; tripods won't know the difference. The most important feature is rigidity. If Rick used that with his cameras it will work fine with yours.

John,

Agree.  It had plenty of rigidity. 😀  I mounted an R5 and RF100-500 using a lens plate on its foot.  I believe the tripod is rated for 18lbs.  More than enough for most set ups.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements