cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6 Adapter for Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art DG HSM Lens

frobbs03
Apprentice

I bought a Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art DG HSM recently, and I’m not sure which lens adapter to buy to make it fit to my Canon Rebel T6. Or is it even possible?
I’m new in the photography world, and would love some advice, thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

There is NO adapter. When you buy 3rd Party lenses check and see what mount the lens is available in. Every camera manufacturer uses a different mount. Your camera uses the EF or EF-S Mount lenses. Canon also has 2 mirrorless lines that use a different lens mount. So stick to lenses with an EF or EF-S Mount lenses. ONLY Canon makes EF-S Mount lenses. 3rd Party manufacturers use the Full Frame EF Mount for APS-C and Full Frame. Canon makes a separate crop sensor ONLY mount called EF-S. Those lenses WILL NOT mount on a Full Frame or 35mm Film SLR camera. A Digital Rebel series camera is an APS-C camera so it can use BOTH EF and EF-S lenses. Do you have a specific need for this lens. Do you normally take portraits that's the most commonly used focal length.

Your camera requires EF or EF-S ONLY. Other lenses WILL NOT Mount to your camera.Your camera requires EF or EF-S ONLY. Other lenses WILL NOT Mount to your camera.Lens Compatibilty PT. 2.png

Here is Canon's naming conventions. 3rd Party Manufacturers use their own. So check with that manufacturer.Here is Canon's naming conventions. 3rd Party Manufacturers use their own. So check with that manufacturer.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you so much for your feedback! This is very helpful. I do portrait photography, and I wanted a cheaper alternative to the $1,000-$2,000 canon 85mm lenses 

85mm would be the perfect focal length for portraits on 35mm Film or Full Frame Digital. But on a Digital Rebel that lens would have an Angle of view of 136mm. Canon's APS-C cameras use a 1.6x compared to Full Frame. So 85 x 1.6 = 136mm. A portrait focal length for a crop sensor camera would be a 50mm lens. 50 x 1.6 = 80mm which is very close to the 35mm Film or Full Frame Digital 85mm Focal length. Well known for portrait use. 50mm is what is considered a normal focal length on 35mm/ Full Frame. You would need a 32mm lens on a APS-C camera to have a normal focal length.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@frobbs03 wrote:

I bought a Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art DG HSM recently, and I’m not sure which lens adapter to buy to make it fit to my Canon Rebel T6. Or is it even possible?
I’m new in the photography world, and would love some advice, thank you!

As Demetrius mentioned, if you bought the lens with the correct mount, it should fit your T6, no adapter needed. Sigma makes this lens in 5 different mounts (see image from Sigma site below). When you buy a Sigma, or any other 3rd party lens, there is generally an option to select the mount type or camera brand. It can be easily overlooked.

I'm assuming you have tried unsuccessfully to mount the Sigma, hence your question. Hopefully, you should be able to return it for the Canon mount version without any issues, but that depends on where you bought it.

Sigma Art Mounts-1.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements