cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV shows battery as dead, both chargers show it full. Faulty battery?

altjxx
Contributor

I have 4 batteries, 2 are original Canon ones and 2 are aftermarket from Amazon. I also have the original canon battery charger and an aftermarket one that charges 2 batteries at the same time. Bought all of this back in 2016 ish.

I just started filming video for the first time and I noticed that I have a pretty weird issue that occurs. Earlier today, I noticed that I'd plug in a full battery into the camera, only for the camera to die minutes later after filming video. When putting it back on the charger, it shows that the battery is full. Both chargers say this.

Threw that battery out, assuming it was just faulty and old, and now it's happening to another battery. Same exact situation.

Is this a common issue with shooting video on the EOS 5D Mark IV? I can't figure out if it's the camera, the batteries, or the chargers. Part of me wants to just throw out the chargers and the batteries and start fresh, but these things cost a pretty penny.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Shooting video consumes a lot more continuous power so batteries that are near end of life will be depleted quickly.  The battery health indication in the camera menu is somewhat useful but far from definitive.

As I noted in another thread, I use only Canon batteries for my 1 series camera but my experience with Canon LP-E6 batteries was less than stellar and I switched to Watson for my 5DS and 5DS R and have had much better service out of those than the Canon LP-E6.  The newer Canon higher capacity variant may be better but I am not going to experiment given my past experience.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Gotcha. Thanks a lot for that. I just ordered an AC power adapter to use instead of batteries. Hopefully this does the trick as I'll be stationary for most of the video footage.

I'm still a little confused on why it would show full for about 3-4 minutes and then completely dead, and then the wall charger shows it being full. This only happens with the "replacement" battery, meaning after the first one drains, I pop in a new one and this one seems to die quickly (even though it appears to be full).

Hi altjxx,

Thanks for checking in with us.

It does seem like something is not quite right with your camera, but let's check a few things.

Take out the battery from the camera and clean the contact points in the camera casing, as well as on the battery itself, with a lens cloth. After leaving the battery and memory card out for about five minutes, put them both back into the camera. It might even be a good idea to ensure that the battery is fully charged before placing it back into the camera's battery compartment.

If any button appears stuck or out of place, then you may wish to gently tap it back into position. Now, make sure that the

battery door is completely shut before turning the camera back on.

If problems persist with multiple batteries, I suggest that you email us at eosdigitalsupport@cits.canon.com with details about your camera, your date of purchase, and the state from where you are sending the camera, and we'll walk you through the repair process.

Ed_Rod
Apprentice

Hello.

I have the same problem with my canon 5D although I use it just for photography. Were you able to find a solution? I have cleaned the contacts on everything which is the main solution without success.

Announcements