cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-1D AA Battery Tray

starimages1
Contributor

I have a Canon 1D camera.   Did this camera come with a battery tray that you could install over the counter AA batteries instead of the Ni-MH batteries???    If so does anyone have this item they want to get rig of???

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Not to my recollection. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

That's what I thought.     Thank you

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Canon did not, the peak current demand of the earlier pro digital bodies was even greater than modern models and the small AA cells wouldn't be able to meet that requirement.  Nor could all Ni-MH aftermarket packs meet it either; I have a 1D Mark II and the 3rd party packs I tried when Canon packs were on backorder worked OK until I tried to shoot a sustained burst.  Even with a fully charged pack, the camera would lock up with a reported error after a few exposures because the pack couldn't maintain the required voltage under sustained load.

If you need disposable battery power for some reason, you would need to use the DCK coupler battery compartment section fed by an external pack instead of the AC adapter, good quality Ni-MH D cells would meet the camera's peak current demand very well.

Another option is using the complete DCK assembly plugged into a readily available portable "jump pack" with built in AC inverter.

But unless there is some unusual specific need, you are much better off with NP-E3 style Ni-MH packs.  And the camera is very sensitive to voltage with unreliable performance as voltage drops and is subject to damage if any attempt is made to supply excessive voltage.  Canon intended for the camera to function either with the proper battery pack or the DCK coupler kit.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you very much for the information.  Very useful.    Got any sure fire methods of selling Canon 1D cameras????

One “sure fire” way to sell it is to include all the accessories and ask a very reasonable price.  What are you selling and how much do you expect to get? 

Mike Sowsun

I have 4 Canon 1D's and one Canon 1DII, six batteries, 5 chargers and that is all I can think of without digging.     Not sure what $ to ask.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

A 1D with a battery and charger sells for about $100 on eBay. I think that would be a good price to get for one if you sell it locally.   A 1D Mk II would be a bit more. Maybe $150? 

Mike Sowsun

Thank you.    Soon as things slow down I'm going to try to get rid of about 17 cameras.   First time using a forum.... it's awesome

Announcements