cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera won't format 512GB SD card

Aflower
Apprentice

I bought a 512 GB Sandisk card and it is not wanting to format with my camera. It keeps telling me to instert new card. Is the GB too big or why would it not format? 
Card and slot are clean and it is a brand new card.

4 REPLIES 4

Peter
Authority
Authority

Does your camera support SD (2GB), SDHC (32GB) or SDXC (more than 32GB)?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Aflower wrote:

I bought a 512 GB Sandisk card and it is not wanting to format with my camera. It keeps telling me to instert new card. Is the GB too big or why would it not format? 
Card and slot are clean and it is a brand new card.

What is the model of your camera?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

For example, My T6S has a section of the manual that says this:

Untitled.jpg

So I can use SD, SDHC and SDXC cards. Going to the SD card wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card

Where we find:

Untitled.jpg

So my camera can use up to 2 TB, but I would never use one that large, it is usually best to use multiple smaller cards (I tend to use 32 GB) so that all your eggs are not in one basket.

Also, make sure it is a full size card and not a micro card with adapter.

normadel
Authority
Authority

That's an ungodly large memory card for a camera. If your camera works with other cards, like maybe up to 128GB, stop there.  

Besides, if you want that big a card so you can keep huge numbers of photos on it, you are going about things the wrong way. You SHOULDN'T keep huge amounts of data on a little old SD card. Cards fail. Cards can get corrupted in the camera. And you lose your huge amount of data in one fell swoop. Is is a better practice to have multiple cards of a more reasonable size with you. Your card data should be moved to a computer frequently, and backed up from there if it is important to you. Don't think of your camera as a portable photo album.

Announcements