cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer video from mini tape on Canon ZR 200 to my Dell XPS 13 laptop

TMF5287
Apprentice

I just found my old ZR200 with a tape of my now deceased mom. I would like to transfer the video to my laptop. I am not sure what cables I need. I have the av cables that came with the camcorder. I also have a 6 Pin to 4 Pin fireware from Dynex that I have never taken out of the package. And I have a USB C to USB A connector for my laptop.  However, I think I need some how to connect the av cables to something that then can connect to the USB C to A connector. I have been all over the internet but have only found old 8 and 10yr old YouTube videos. Am looking for something current that can help me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I think it will be hard to get a Firewire adapter for a modern laptop. I think the Firewire to USB A adapters are all snake oil. It might be easier to use a transfer service like legacybox.

thanks. another question: if I am able to locate the missing ZR 200 USB cable that originally came with my camera and connect it via the USB C connector on my XPS 13 laptop - would that work? Am unconcerned about how long the transfer would take, assuming I can make the the transfer happen.

normadel
Authority
Authority

You can't transfer videos via USB with your camera.. Firewire only.  USB is for transferring still photos.

Finding hardware and software to do a transfer to your laptop is not worth it, especially for just one tape.  Send it to a transfer service who will convert to a movie file and be done with it.

Announcements