cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF G40 with Rode Videomic Go?

PNA0K550
Apprentice

I bought a Rode Videomic Go but when I connect it to my camera it doesn’t pick up any sound. The camera registers that it’s there but the only time I can get it to record sound is by jiggling the cord in the mic port, and then it records some clicking noises. I have tried multiple aux cords and all have the same result.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

redrob
Contributor

OK -- I have good news and bad news.

The good news is I pulled out my G40, my Rode Video Mic (not the Go) and my G50 as well and did some playing.  I made a video for you showing the findings.

The bad news, in summary -- unlike some other on-camera mics like the original Rode Video Mic which have a battery, it looks like the Video Mic GO requires power to be supplied by the connected device (the G40) operate.  I do not see any option on the G40 to provide this power.  My G50, in contrast, has a menu option to supply power to the external mic.   If my observations are correct, that mic simply may not work on the G40.    

Note -- since I don't own a Video Mic GO I can't test for you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would assume that the microphone connector is the correct size.  However, judging from the specs the input can be set for Line Level or Mic Level input signals.

252CAC14-2218-4D6E-8499-405A4DB2FD2D.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I use an external mic on my G40 frequently -- you may need to go into the menus and change it from Line level to Mic level.  Also, play with the "attenuation" setting.. I don't have mine out at the moment (and may be mistaken whether attenuation is an option).

I've tried it with both Line level and Mic level, and it makes no difference.

I don't see an "attenuation" setting...I do see something called "Microphone Attenuator", though it's greyed out/unselectable.

redrob
Contributor

OK -- I have good news and bad news.

The good news is I pulled out my G40, my Rode Video Mic (not the Go) and my G50 as well and did some playing.  I made a video for you showing the findings.

The bad news, in summary -- unlike some other on-camera mics like the original Rode Video Mic which have a battery, it looks like the Video Mic GO requires power to be supplied by the connected device (the G40) operate.  I do not see any option on the G40 to provide this power.  My G50, in contrast, has a menu option to supply power to the external mic.   If my observations are correct, that mic simply may not work on the G40.    

Note -- since I don't own a Video Mic GO I can't test for you.

Yeah, it seems like they're simply incompatible, and I'll have to get a new mic that does have it's own power. (To be clear, does your Rode Video Mic work with your G40?)

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to make the video.

Indeedly.. my mic works well with the g40

groovy

Announcements