cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording automatically broken into 3 parts

bargie
Apprentice

Hi!  I'm new to the forum and just used my HF R42 for the first time on Monday.  I used the default jpeg settings and the picture quality is outstanding!  I used it to make a training video, which lasted approx. 1h18m.  The problem I ran into is this: The camera automatically broke the video into 3 parts; the first two are 5.08 gb in length; the last one is shorter (2.74 gb).  I would have preferred that it saved the video as one continuous movie.  Can anyone tell me why this happend and how to overcome this in the future?  For editing, I'm using a MacBook Pro with iMovie; is there any way to combine the 3 parts? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Mykolas
Authority

Hi bargie!

Thanks for posting!

What you are describing is normal.  Due to limitations with working with and recording large file sizes, the camcorder splits clips into multiple files when they exceed 30 minutes.  Since you recorded for 1h18m, the camcorder used 3 separate files, 2 that were 30 minutes long and 1 that was 18 minutes long.  You should be able to arrange them together using an editing application and same them as one whole file or project, if the application you are using allows it.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  Do you have any familiarity with Apple "iMovie"?  That's what I'm using.

If so, do you know how to arrange them together using that application.  Also, in your experience

is there one editor that you aware of that that works best with Canon Camcorders?

Bargie

bargie,

We do not test the various applications available on the market, so I am unable to recommend one that will work the best.  Canon did not make iMovie, so I recommend contacting Apple directly for any assistance with using the different functions of iMovie.  They are the best ones to talk to when it comes to what their software is capable of.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements