cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Min 9.0db Gain Canon g60

JGinHD
Apprentice

Hello,

I have an issue that I am sure has a simple solution. I own a Canon Vixia HF G60 and I am only getting a minimum gain setting of 9.0db, although the meter clearly goes down to 0.0db. Is it a setting i have to turn on or off? Please help?

Regards,

JG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The gain will have a minimum of 9.0 dB in certain situations to include if you have the custom picture setting set to Wide DR or Canon Log 3.  See page 55 of the Vixia HF G60 User Manual for details.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The gain will have a minimum of 9.0 dB in certain situations to include if you have the custom picture setting set to Wide DR or Canon Log 3.  See page 55 of the Vixia HF G60 User Manual for details.

--
Ricky

Well that is u fortunate. Clog is the best look when going into post. Thank you for this, much appreciated. 

JG

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

No problem.  I don't know all the math or other details behind it, but each sensor will have a particular ISO value such that at that point, it will capture the maximum amount of dynamic range.  For the EOS C70, that value is ISO 800.

It's a trade-off of course.  At lower ISO values, you'd get cleaner footage but at a cost of dynamic range.  This won't be an issue though in scenes that have a low dynamic range anyhow.

Also, increasing ISO too high will also come at a cost of loss in dynamic range.

For camcorders that use dB (gain), manufacturers typically don't disclose what ISO value would be 0 dB.  I just know that 6 dB equates to one full stop.   A complete guess may be that 0 dB on your cam is around ISO 160.

--
Ricky

Awesome. I appreciate all thr helpful information! Thank you 

Announcements