cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m looking for the best camcorder for hunting.

Corey816
Apprentice

I’m looking to self film hunts. I’m a novice when it comes to cameras, but I’m looking forward to learning. Ease of use, quality picture, great low light video and a good microphone are things I’m really looking for. I’m trying to spend between 1k-2k. What do yall recommend?

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

While your budget is helpful, we need to know a little more about the shooting conditions, carry preference, etc.  Are you looking for super compact and lightweight, will you be shooting in a stationary location or on the move?  A V10 might work really well for you.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/powershot-v10

Put a smallrig cage on it and you'd have a high quality all in one video rig.  

shadowsports_0-1707018566226.png

There are other more expensive options, but I'm not sure lugging a full size vixia device will bode well with a bow, rifle or even a pistol.  

Take a look at the V10 and tell me what you think.  If you want other options we can help you explore more. 🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Camera will be mounted on a tripod in the stand. Will not be used on the move. Need a camera that has a good optical zoom. 

I was looking at the Canon xa60, but didn’t know if there was a better option. 

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Agree that portability would prob be the best aspect of the gear.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Thanks for the extra information on how it would be used.  One thing to note is that I don't think any of Canon's camcorders would be weather-sealed.  So do take precautions if using in poor weather or in very dusty environments.

In terms of low-light, that will be quite the challenge.  Many of the camcorder's sensors are quite tiny (to include the XA60).  And if you're zoomed in, the lens typically stops down a bit to around f/4.   Strangely, I cannot find any aperture information about the lens in the XA60 (not listed in its specs).

--
Ricky

Are there any cameras across the board you recommend? I like the idea of a camcorder for the auto focus and I can kinda just set it and leave it. 

In the past, I have liked using camcorders for exactly what you mentioned; ease-of-use.  But they really don't do well in low light, unfortunately.  However, perhaps for your needs it would be good enough.

At this point, recommend perhaps first renting a camcorder to see if it would meet your needs.  lensrentals dot com is at least one vendor that rents at least the XA 60 and XA 30.

--
Ricky

Announcements