cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I film singing with guitar?

TommyVincent
Contributor

I have a Vixia HFR300 Canon camcorder. I use Adobe Premiere Elements to edit my videos. Next week I'd like to make a video of someone singing and playing the electric guitar. I have a lapel mic with a cord that attaches into the mic jack on the camera. This probably is not the best way to get good sound quality.

What setup would be best for my project? What type of mic would be best with my present camcorder? How do I get a wireless mic to work with my camcorder? Could someone give me some iinstructions or give me a link to a tutorial on the subject.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello TommyVincent,

When shooting video with audio targeting something specific, like a singer, a lapel microphone like you use is one option.  Another would be a shotgun microphone.  The issue you're gong to run into is precisely the one which resulted in sound booths; the human voice is easily drowned out. 

The best you could do is either a lapel or shotgun, unless you had a more sophisticated sound setup.  The use of a small recorder, like a Zoom, is helpful in expanding the audio capabilities, but isn't a replacement for a full fledged, dedicated microphone system. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Tim
Authority

Hello TommyVincent,

When shooting video with audio targeting something specific, like a singer, a lapel microphone like you use is one option.  Another would be a shotgun microphone.  The issue you're gong to run into is precisely the one which resulted in sound booths; the human voice is easily drowned out. 

The best you could do is either a lapel or shotgun, unless you had a more sophisticated sound setup.  The use of a small recorder, like a Zoom, is helpful in expanding the audio capabilities, but isn't a replacement for a full fledged, dedicated microphone system. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements