cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between XA50 and VIXIA HF G60

Sumpurna
Contributor

I currently own a XA50 camcorder and am wanting to purchase another 4k camcorder but a bit lower level than the XA50. The VIXIA HF G60 seems to be similar to the XA50 (just without the top handle). Are there any internal differences? And is the G60 a good side camcorder for a XA50? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The only differences I see is that the XA50 can record video using the XF-AVC codec along with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 whereas the HF G60 can only use MPEG-4 AVC/H.264.

And for audio, the XA50 has more codec options:

• MP4: MPEG-2 AAC-LC (16-bit 2CH) / LPCM (16-bit 4CH)
    XF-AVC: LPCM (24-bit 4CH)

HF 60:

• MPEG-2 AAC-LC (16-bit 2CH)

They do appear the have the same exact sensor and lens, so I would say the HF 60 would make for a good B-cam with the XA50.

I don't know offhand though if there would be a huge noticable difference in video quality if you ended up capturing XF-AVC footage with the XA50 and mixed with MPEG-4 footage from the HF 60.   There is the option on the XA50 to use the same codec if that becomes crucial.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The only differences I see is that the XA50 can record video using the XF-AVC codec along with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 whereas the HF G60 can only use MPEG-4 AVC/H.264.

And for audio, the XA50 has more codec options:

• MP4: MPEG-2 AAC-LC (16-bit 2CH) / LPCM (16-bit 4CH)
    XF-AVC: LPCM (24-bit 4CH)

HF 60:

• MPEG-2 AAC-LC (16-bit 2CH)

They do appear the have the same exact sensor and lens, so I would say the HF 60 would make for a good B-cam with the XA50.

I don't know offhand though if there would be a huge noticable difference in video quality if you ended up capturing XF-AVC footage with the XA50 and mixed with MPEG-4 footage from the HF 60.   There is the option on the XA50 to use the same codec if that becomes crucial.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks!

Announcements