cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless printing mx890

jspeneen
Apprentice

I want to add wireless capability to my printer which is already connected to my computer for a couple months now 

1 REPLY 1

Devin
Enthusiast

Hi jspeneen!

I wanted to let you know that you can have one computer connected to the printer via a USB cable and the rest connected through the network connection to the printer.  The default network connection type on this printer is wireless though you are able to connect this through a wired ethernet connection to your router.  The advantage of this is that you do not need to worry about wireless interference and it is a direct connection.  I would recommend this connection type if your printer is near your router.  All you need to do is connect an ethernet cable from your printer to an open port on the router.  If you decide to use this connection type, you will need to make one change on the printer.  Here are the steps to do so:

1.  Press SETUP.

2.  Scroll to Device Settings, then press OK.

3.  Scroll to LAN Settings, then press OK.

4.  Scroll to Change wireless/wired, then press OK.

5.  Choose Wired LAN Active, then press OK.

6.  Press STOP/RESET to return to standby mode.

If you wish to setup the printer using a wireless connection, then you will either need a WPS enabled router or a USB cable.  WPS stands for Wireless Protected Setup and allows you to connect your printer to your computer using the push of a button on your router.  Please check your router to see if you have this button.  If not, then you would need to use a USB cable to complete the wireless installation on your computer.  So that I can provide specific instructions to do this, please reply with the operating system installed on your computer.

Announcements