cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is the WPS button?

dmlarsen
Apprentice

Just got a Canon PIXMA MX432 and trying to set up.  It asks for me to push the WPS button, but can't find?  Hep?

134 REPLIES 134

When you press the Wireless setup button on the printer consol, it tells you to go press the WPS button on the device.  It doesn't explain what the device is, but I am pretty sure they mean to press the WPS button on the wireless router. I have worked on a lot of wireless routers and have only seen one wireless router with a WPS button.

We have a new macbook pro.  There is no CD slot on the new MBP.  We have the Pixma mg5420 printer. Brand new Jan 21, 2014.

What I did instead (and this worked !!!).

On the Printer do the following:

1) Press the home button on the printer, or whatever button it takes to see the Wireless setup button. Press the wirelss setup button on the printer (on mine it was the lower left button under the consol screen on the mg5420 pixma printer).  The wireless setup button has the typical icon for wireless, curved lines in the shape of a piece of pie.  Looks like a radar gun from a cartoon.

2) Printer will say searching

3) wait 10 seconds or so

4) press the STOP button on the printer.

5) you will see an advanced button.  Select advanced and press the OK button.

6) hopefull it will now find your wireless routers name and should find all your neighbors wireless routers too.

7) select that router and press OK button on printer.

😎 It will ask you to select the security used on this wireless router.  If you don't know just start trying them.  Ours was WPA2 personal (AES). Press OK after selecting the security type.

9) when you select the correct security it will ask you to enter the password on the next screen.  So enter the password you normally use to connect to your wireless router.
10) Press OK, when done and follow the prompts to get out.

I did the above from memory, so might be a bit off, but still better than what Canon supplied.

Back on the computer

1) If you haven't already, go to www.canon.com and download the correct drivers for your pixma printer and your OS and install.

2) Print a test page.

Just wanted to say a BIG Thankyou, I had got to the point where I wanted to throw the thing out and my son suggested google the problem and see what came up. It was kind of heartening to see so many with the same issue but also annoying that canon haven't been listening. Your post instructions got me through, Thanks a bunch, most grateful!!!

Lost a day of my life trying to get by this one..... now looking for a very long USB cable

thankk you, thank you! 

this took all of 20 seconds and worked first time

THANK YOU aceaceace AND everyone else who left comments on this page! I was ready to scream and pull my hair out trying to connect my new Canon Pixma MG5620 printer to my home's WiFi network!!! I'm glad to know I was not alone in finding the instructions ABSURD and HARD TO UNDERSTAND! But I followed your guide above, and my printer then told me I had successfully connected to my home's WiFi network. Then I tried to print. FAILURE! I ended up just plugging in a printer cable directly to my laptop. I'm SO GLAD I paid for a printer with a WiFi connection that doesn't seem to work! I'm short on time today, but when I have more time, I will call customer support. Canon instructions suck! They really need to hire better technical writers.

Thanks for these instructions!  Worked on my MG6670 set up.

These instructions worked perfect. I am using the MX490 series Canon printer.

I've gotten to the point where it wants the pass code for the wireless. however, it will only allow me to punch in letters. my pass code from time warner has numbers. it wont let me put those in. ARGGG

nevermind, found how to put the numbers in.

Thank you - your instructions led me to success!

Announcements