cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"another computer is using this printer"

jbquinn
Apprentice

mx 922 often says "another computer is using this printer" and won't print even when there is only one computer on.

Win 7

32 REPLIES 32

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi jbquinn,

Are you using the printer with a wireless or USB connection?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am using the printer with a wireless connection. My fix has been to reboot the printer. This temporarily solves the problem 9 out of 10 times. I am hoping for a more permanent solution.

Oops, it is not a wireless connection. It is a wired connection.

Hello.

If the same message still occurs, please check the LCD display of the printer to see if any warnings or messages are shown on the display.  It may be possible that the printer is an error or warning state that is causing this error on your computer.

If additional assistance is needed, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

jimyti
Apprentice
I had the same problem. I just kept the job printing and shut off printer. When I turned it back on it printed the page automatically and the dotted lines around the printer name disappeared.

gaturner
Apprentice

THIS IS COMPLETELY HORRIBLE. I do not like this printer. I get the same error, I am connected by my wifi... I am a college student. It makes NO SENSE that I cannot print when I NEED TO PRINT. I brought TWO of these horrible printers. My 1st one gave the error code of "Another computer is using the printer. The following status is the usage status of that computer." alllllll the time. and then one day it sucked up all my papers. I would say I had about 10 , 15 tops. and completely JAMMED it up in the within 2 months. The only reason I got anothing one is because I already brought tons of ink. This time I have a warrenty but that DOESNT help with the stress. I have never detested a printer soo much

Same problem here. Originally i had 3 PCs in a LAN, and the printer connected by wifi. My wife's PC was most of the time giving this error and could not print. On my PC printing worked OK. Turning off the other PC etc. didn't help.

To solve this (my wife is the one who usually needs the printer) I connected her PC to the printer by the USB cable while my PC is still connected via WIFI. Now My PC is getting the same error and can't print.

The way i remember it, printing was working OK for both of us in the beginning (6 months ago) so this might be a Windows update, Windows version or driver issue.

We are both running Win 8.1 64bit

The printer software says

Canon TJ Tilanvalvonta 2.70 (finnish for "status monitor")

Hi,

I have the same problem with a Canon MG5500... I bought this printer because ( what a suprise... ) I would like to print some documentation....but it seems it isn't possible... 😞

I'm using it with wireless connection with windows 8.1. I've already tried to turn it off and on, reboot, reset all settings, nothing helped.

There is no warnings or messages on the LCD. 

What should I do?

Canon MG5400 series. In having the same problem with wifi, I found I could unplug usb from the directly connected pc and wifi would work immediatly. Plug in usb and wifi would work until usb pc sent a print, then wifi will work no more until unplugging usb again. Epson Workforce works fine with wired and wifi. I would say that makes it a Canon problem. I hope this post helps get it one step closer to solution!

Announcements