cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"another computer is using this printer"

jbquinn
Apprentice

mx 922 often says "another computer is using this printer" and won't print even when there is only one computer on.

Win 7

32 REPLIES 32

I had the same problem.  Printed fine last night, and then got that message this moring.  Couldn't fix it on my own so CALLED the help line.

THIS is what I did to fix my issue:

1)  TURN OFF printer

2)  UNPLUG router

3)  PLUG router back in

4)  UNPLUG printer

5)  PRESS the "ON" button @ 10 times (not fast, just press.. press.. press  10times)

6)  PLUG printer back in

7)  TURN on printer

😎  Make sure ALL print jobs are removed from print que

9)  Send a job to the printer

10)  SHOULD print and no more error message.

This releases the que of "unknowns" and clears the que.

Thanks you SO MUCH dlaceyusa !! I've been searching for an answer & trying everything on many different threads about how to fix this problem for several days. It has been very frustrating! This is the only thing that worked! Removing the printer worked for one day and then I got the error again, but this has continued to work. I registered just to let everyone know to try this too. Hope it works for you too!

What was the solutioj?

Hi Joe3!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

Please note, the Canon Community Forum is not intended for immediate assistance from Canon. it is a place where fellow contributors can help! We have sent your question to a Subject Matter Expert who will respond as quickly as possible.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at usa.canon.com/support or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

Hi Joe3,

Resetting your network may resolve the issue being experienced. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Turn off the printer and unplug the power cord, then turn off both of your computers.

2. Unplug your wireless router for at least 60 seconds, then plug it back in.

3. Wait 5 minutes, then plug the printer back in, and turn it and both computers back on.

Please attempt to print again.  Should you continue to experience difficulty, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative at one of the methods provided here for further assistance.  A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

NO! Why is this a uniquely Canon problem! I junked my Canon and got an HP. Now my problem is solved.

zfyant
Apprentice

I just wanted to register an account to say that this is the worst peice of absolute garbage I have ever had to deal with. 
If you are on this forums page, I fear it is too late to warn you not to buy this product, but for the sakes of a review, here I am.

This printer will not connect to a device if its been in sleep mode too long. (verified on wireless and wired connections)

This printer also shoots out errors faster than a cheetah catches prey. And the errors are abundant. Between "Another computer is using this printer" when I've been the only user all day, to "printer offline" which I seem to get every day.

Nearly each day requires maintenance.

Now, before anyone detests my issues, I will say that I have read countless forums. I have spent well over 24 hours working on solving issues with this printer. Sadly, I've owned it for about 2 months. I have top of the line router and modem equipment with a vast knowledge of networking. 

These printers should be recalled and burned. Hell, it'd be the best Canon service I'd ever experienced.

gaturner
Apprentice
I will never buy a printer with out checking. I sooo agree with you

Raul
Apprentice
Have you tried updating the drivers? I was having the same issue with my printer. Apparently my laptop got an update so I had to update my printer's driver as well...

Joe3
Contributor

How do i get my cannon printer to print?

Announcements