cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your PIXMA TR4520 does not support 5GHz networks" setup error on dual-band network.

Fizziii
Apprentice

My router is a dual band router.  I can see that I currently have both 5GHz and 2.4GHz items connected to it.  My Canon TR4520 won't connect to it saying it's a 5GHz network.  How can I get it to use the 2.4GHz side like other 2.4GHz devices?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Fizziii,

The TR4520 is only able to connect to a 2.4 GHz frequency band network. (PIXMA TR4520 Specifications)

Try the following steps to connect the printer to your router:

1.  Press the Setup button on the printer. (Button with tools on it.)
2.  Select Device Settings, then press OK.
3.  Select LAN Settings, then press OK.
4.  Select Wi-Fi.  Then press OK.
5.  Select Wi-Fi setup, then press OK.  You should see "Easy Wi-Fi connect".  Do not select this.
6.  Select Manual Connect, then press OK.
7.  Select your Access Point and press OK.  When entering the passphrase, use the Tone or Star (*) key to change character modes.

The TR4500 series MP Drivers that are listed on our website are the latest onesd available.

If the printer is not connected to a Wi-Fi network, the firmware update will need to be done by connecting the printer to the computer with a USB cable.  USB cables are not included with our printers.  If the printer is able to connect to your network, visit the following link for details on how to update the firmware from the printer menu.

Updating Printer Firmware

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I suspect there might be a few different solutions avaialble to you. 

What is the brand and model of your router?  If your router is set to use "Smart Connect" or similar feature, your printer may have difficulty.

"Smart Connect" on Netgear Routers (Example).  This feature uses one SSID name for both bands.  Typically the device you are trying to connect can associate with the correct radio/broadcast 2.4 or 5Ghz.  Some devices may have problems.  To resolve, turn off this feature and give each network a unique name.  Example, I have a tri-band router:

myhouse

myhouse-5G1

myhouse-5G2  

Other options:

Use the latest set up and drivers for your printer > Found Here

If you are using older install media, this too can cause issues

And last, ensure your printer has the latest firmware > Found here

One or more of these suggestions should / will help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

Thank you for the reply. 

The router is Comcast/Xfinity.  With other devices not having issues, I'd rather not have to create 2 separate SSID names as that'd break half the stuff I already have setup.

Regarding the latest drivers, this is a brand new printer directing me online to download the drivers, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the drivers downloading from the web are the latest.

Firmware I could understand being behind as things might've changed since it was packed up and shipped to the retailer.  Seeing how the printer didn't come with a USB cable for connection, will I be able to download new firmware and get it onto the printer without the wi-fi connection?

Edit:  "To perform this upgrade, a USB cable and a computer are needed."... answered the last question.

Best regards,

Fred

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Fizziii,

The TR4520 is only able to connect to a 2.4 GHz frequency band network. (PIXMA TR4520 Specifications)

Try the following steps to connect the printer to your router:

1.  Press the Setup button on the printer. (Button with tools on it.)
2.  Select Device Settings, then press OK.
3.  Select LAN Settings, then press OK.
4.  Select Wi-Fi.  Then press OK.
5.  Select Wi-Fi setup, then press OK.  You should see "Easy Wi-Fi connect".  Do not select this.
6.  Select Manual Connect, then press OK.
7.  Select your Access Point and press OK.  When entering the passphrase, use the Tone or Star (*) key to change character modes.

The TR4500 series MP Drivers that are listed on our website are the latest onesd available.

If the printer is not connected to a Wi-Fi network, the firmware update will need to be done by connecting the printer to the computer with a USB cable.  USB cables are not included with our printers.  If the printer is able to connect to your network, visit the following link for details on how to update the firmware from the printer menu.

Updating Printer Firmware

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements