cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF264dw "Printer is not connected"

mlh76
Apprentice

My ImageClass MF264dw was working fine until this morning, when I get the error message "Printer is not connected" on my computer.  I've re-connected to the wireless network from the printer. When I re-enter the password for the wi-fi, the error light flashes for a second, and then the screen says "Connected."  I've tried restarting the computer, the printer, and the wireless router, all to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Darius
Whiz

Hi mlh76.

Try pinging the pritner's IP address from the computer, and vice versa

If they're able to ping, then something on the computer is preventing them from communicating. Try removing the printer (and, on Windows, uninstall the drivers and restart the computer), then reinstall the latest drivers (and, on Mac OS, re-register the printer using the Canon drivers).

If they're unable to ping each other, then either they are on different networks, or the router is blocking them from communicating.  Check that the computer is not connected to a VPN.  If both are on wifi, ensure the computer is on a 2.4 GHz wifi connection.  If these don't correct it, proceed to the directions for if the computer can ping the printer but not vice versa.

If the computer can ping the printer, but the printer can't ping the computer, then something on the computer is blocking the communications.  Double-check that the firewall is permitting communications from the printer; you may need to use the printer's IP address or its wifi component's MAC address to register it as a safe device.

If the above does not correct the problem, our support is available at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday-Friday from 10:00 am to 6:30 pm ET, excluding holidays.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Darius
Whiz

Hi mlh76.

Try pinging the pritner's IP address from the computer, and vice versa

If they're able to ping, then something on the computer is preventing them from communicating. Try removing the printer (and, on Windows, uninstall the drivers and restart the computer), then reinstall the latest drivers (and, on Mac OS, re-register the printer using the Canon drivers).

If they're unable to ping each other, then either they are on different networks, or the router is blocking them from communicating.  Check that the computer is not connected to a VPN.  If both are on wifi, ensure the computer is on a 2.4 GHz wifi connection.  If these don't correct it, proceed to the directions for if the computer can ping the printer but not vice versa.

If the computer can ping the printer, but the printer can't ping the computer, then something on the computer is blocking the communications.  Double-check that the firewall is permitting communications from the printer; you may need to use the printer's IP address or its wifi component's MAC address to register it as a safe device.

If the above does not correct the problem, our support is available at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday-Friday from 10:00 am to 6:30 pm ET, excluding holidays.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This worked!  They were both able to ping, so I uninstalled and re-installed the printer and it's working now. Thank you!

Announcements