cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printer not found, sometimes

gherson
Contributor

My Windows 7 desktop (has ethernet to router) and a Macintosh desktop (over wifi) has /intermittant/ issues being able to see/find my Pixma TS3320 (wifi) on my home network. 

Strangely, whenever this happens, my Windows 7 laptop (over wifi) does *not* have a problem printing to this printer (so the solution has been that I get the document emailed to me then I print for the family member).  Turning the printer off and on doesn't help.  (The printer is a yard from the router.)

Ideas on what could be the issue, or on its resolution?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This should be easy to fix.  Reserve an IP for your printer by its MAC address.  Give it an IP that doesn't change.  

This can be done on your router, only requiring a restart of the printer for it to "pick up" its new IP.  Now your printer has a known "destination" IP that never changes.

Now remove and reinstall the printer from the existing devices it is installed on now.  Restart each.  Then reinstall on each using the printer's IP.

Moving forward other devices can also use the printer when they connect to your network.  Wired or wireless, you will always know what your printers IP is and where to tell devices connecting to your network how to find it. 

add printer windows example.pngadd printer MAC IP example.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This should be easy to fix.  Reserve an IP for your printer by its MAC address.  Give it an IP that doesn't change.  

This can be done on your router, only requiring a restart of the printer for it to "pick up" its new IP.  Now your printer has a known "destination" IP that never changes.

Now remove and reinstall the printer from the existing devices it is installed on now.  Restart each.  Then reinstall on each using the printer's IP.

Moving forward other devices can also use the printer when they connect to your network.  Wired or wireless, you will always know what your printers IP is and where to tell devices connecting to your network how to find it. 

add printer windows example.pngadd printer MAC IP example.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, great answer!  In my router there's now a permanent association of my printer's current IP address with its MAC address.  ((I assume that's settled, but if my router fails to award the printer the same IP next boot, I'll post a follow-up.))

@gherson wrote:

Thanks, great answer!  In my router there's now a permanent association of my printer's current IP address with its MAC address.  ((I assume that's settled, but if my router fails to award the printer the same IP next boot, I'll post a follow-up.))

If the device (printer) does not get the reserved IP on restart, there is no permanent association between IP and MAC.  

Your router will list a connected device with the IP it has assigned, it will also display that devices MAC.  If however, you do not reserve the desired IP, then it won't assign it to the device after it is restarted.  The reservation step is what ensures your device gets the desired IP.

This is what tells the router the device with MAC xxx gets IP xxx.  It won't assign it to another device regardless of when the device is used or seen on the network again.  Sounds like you are close to figuring it out.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Good morning,

The below screenshot courtesy of my router's webserver shows a permanent (until hardware reset) setting but since it says very little, I didn't know "This is what tells the router the device with MAC xxx gets IP xxx.  It won't assign it to another device regardless of when the device is used or seen on the network again". 

I believe this problem is solved.

thanks again,

George

screenshot

g

Good Work!

Cheers

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements