cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mx880 connected to LAN. Cannot access via wireless. ???

rjdmillerca77
Apprentice

I have an end user on campus who has a Canon MX880 multi-function printer/copier/scanner, etc.

I have it configured to a specific IP address, and connected to the college LAN via data cable, data drop. The drop is good, I have tested with a laptop.

I manually set the IP4 settings on the MX880, and can ping the printer when connected via ethernet to LAN. As soon as I try to get on the the college wireless LAN, I can't ping it.

I took another laptop, disconnected the data cable from the printer, plugged it into the laptop, and manually config'd the laptop to the same manual IP4 settings as the printer is set to. This time, from the other laptop, I can ping connected to the printer port wirelessly or when ethernet connected. So there is nothing wrong with the campus wired or wireless network.

It's only when I try and ping the MX880, via the campus wireless network, that I have a problem.

Again, I have the MX880 ethernet connected to a data drop. I have the LAN settings enabled, and IP4 manually set. I can ping the printer IP address when ethernet connected from somewhere else on the network, but I can't when I'm using the campus wireless network. And again, If I use two laptops, one used in place of the printer, but set to same IP settings, I have no problem pinging the IP address via LAN or campus wireless.

Any ideas???

1 REPLY 1

merrymary247
Rising Star
Most public networks (like the ones on a college campus) have built in firewalls that prevent communication between devices. They're designed primarily to give a device internet access but not to let 2 devices on the network talk to each other for security purposes (so the guy in the dorm next to you can't hack your computer). Trying to use the printer with a public network probably wont work.
Announcements