cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mx 922 often says "another computer is using this printer" and won't print.

pboehm
Apprentice

55 REPLIES 55

"Page not found" error 404 😞

I'm having the same problem. This link now says "Page not found." Is there a new link?

mtRoom
Apprentice

I managed to fix this a few days ago though did not update my previous post in case the problem cropped up again.

However, it all seems to be fine now. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and my printer is MG5460.

Okay so, from memory, what I did the first time was (note this didn't solve the problem, but may still be relevant):

• I manually removed the printer (Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers > right-click printer and select "Remove Device").
  • Uninstalled the Canon printer drivers
  • Installed the MG5400-series driver package (downloaded from Canon site)
  • Re-added the printer using the built-in  'Add a Printer' tool that Windows provides

This worked initially but the error reappeared the next day.

The next method I tried fixed it (again, I'm going from memory here):

• I re-configured the printer's WLAN settings (probably not necessary as it was already connected)
  • After having no luck, I manually removed the printer again from 'Devices and Printers'
  • Then I re-installed the entire package (drivers and software) directly from the Canon setup disk.
  • Also I turned off printer sharing in the printer's properties menu, though I can't remember at what stage I did this.

One of my mistakes before, I assume, was using the built-in 'Add a Printer' function instead of installing direct from the disk. My advice is just install from the original disk (even if it's outdated, it at least gets it working).

Final thing. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I noticed when I installed the printer using 'Add a Printer', the port name was different. It started with "WSD-..." and the description was "WSD Port". When I installed with the disk, it assigned the port name "CNBJNP_....." and the description is simply "Canon BJ Network Port".

(The port settings can be viewed by right-clicking the printer > select 'Printer Properties' > 'Ports').

Hope this helps in some way people still having the same problem!

mtRoom, thanks for the good info.  Especially about the port naming. 

I have the problem and I have the "WSD..." naming.  You've given me an idea about reinstalling and watching the port assignments.   I'll post back with the results.

mtRoom, you provided the solution!

I removed all traces of the printer on both Windows 7 machines.  Then I reloaded each machine from the original Canon MX922 disc.  It created ports that began with "CNJN..."   I have tested extensivley and it seems to be fixed. 

What I do not know is how the ports beginning with "WSD.." were created in the first place.  It may have come from allowing Windows 7 to install the printer (instead of using the Canon disc). 

After installing fom disc and testing, I ran Windows Update and I see an optional update to the Canon SW recommended by Microsoft.  This could be how I got into trouble the first time, since I remember performing this update a month or two ago.  I may pass on this update for awhile.  But even if I allow the update and it it gets me into trouble, I now know how to fix the problem.

Thanks again mtRoom.

No worries. Glad it worked for you too.

I just want to agree with this solution. Our Canon MX470 Series printer had been working fine for months. Yesterday we added a new Windows 8.1 computer to the network. The installation found the printer and set it up just fine but when we tried to print from that computer we got the "another computer is using this printer" error message. Not only that but thereafter none of the other computers could access the printer until we powered the printer off and on. Everything would again work fine until we tried to print from the Windows 8.1 computer again.

I took the above advice to heart and uninstalled the printer drivers from the Windows 8.1 computer and then re-installed the drivers from the installation CD that came with the printer. 

That solved the problem - for now, anyway.

emzy_wemzy
Apprentice

I'm having the same problem too. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still not working!  Any ideas?  Please advise as I'm getting really frustrated with it now!

The only things that work for me is to turn the printer off and on; and if that doesn't work, to also reboot my computer. That at least, always works.

I have a Pixma MG5520. I've been trying to print wirelessly. It used to work with no problems, but then started giving me the same message everyone else has been having.

I fixed it by right clicking on the printer in "Device and Printers".

Left click on "Printer Properties".

Click the "Advanced" tab.

And select the "Print directly to the printer" radio button.

After I did that, it seems to be working now and not giving me that message.

Hope this helps anybody!

Announcements