cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mx 922 often says "another computer is using this printer" and won't print.

pboehm
Apprentice

55 REPLIES 55

Thanks for such very clear instructions. I will try it.

nope, sounded promising but nope, didn't work.

same old same old.

The final thing that I tried, which has worked so far, is to change my selected printer from one called "Canon MX920 series Printer WS" to the one simply called "Canon MX920 series Printer".  Did this several months ago and it hasn't failed since, knock on wood.  Good luck!

kauhs
Apprentice

Same problem with the pixma mx472.  Problem is intermitant and users have both windows 7 and 10..... Turning the printer off and on sometimes works but not always. Moving to a different computer sometimes works but not always... I think I will invest in a printer cord... 

jt2
Apprentice

Hi all, been reading this thread, and while  I do not have this problem, in solving other problems I've found a solution that may help, and that is that canon recommend to not use the WSD port for communicating via network wiht the Canon printer.  Instead, use the more reliable CNBJ port.  Turns out that Windows creates WSD ports when you add the printer using Windows "Add a printer".  But Canon install software creates the CNB port when you install using their software, and that is the preferred configuration.  So if you are on the WSD port, I suggest you change your configuration to us the CNB port.   Its possible that this is the cause of this behavior.

I have been plaggued with this error message since I upgraded to Windows 8. And I was still having it with Windows 10.

I had to restart the printer/computer multiple timess and for some unknown reason it would accept to print, then shortly after it would be failing again with that error message.

The post about port name should be starting with CNBJNP and not WSD tickled me. I opened the properties of my printer, saw that the port checked was the WSD port and noticed that there was an unchecked CNBJNP port. I reassigned the port from the WSD one to the CNBJNP one and voila, working like at charm instantly.

How did you fix or connected your port? How did you make it work? Can anyone please tell me??!

I recently started with this message.  I opened control panel then devices and printers.  Noticed had two canon printers showing.  I deleted the one that was check as default and made the remain one the default.  This one was canon mx922.  After doing this closed everything then attempted to print and worked fine.  Make sure you do not have extra canon printer listed under devices and printers.

Anaa13
Apprentice

This printer is brand new, 2 months old and it's already causing me trouble. I want to print out my work for college and its not letting me print, saying that another computer is using the printer, use the printer that is associted with the printer. I have only one computer and the printer connected.

SRoss715
Apprentice

I just experienced this for the first time.  Before doing anything else, I decided to take the simplest route to see if I could resolve the problem.  You know how they say, just restart your computer (that always seems to solve a whole host of problems)...well, I turned off my printer, closed all the programs, and restarted my computer, and now I can print without getting that strange, annoying message.  You might try that.  I have Windows 8.1.

Announcements