cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ip72000 wireless connection

kortmann
Contributor

I just received a new Canon ip7200 printer and am attempting to connect it to my home wireless network. I have hit a snag due to the fact that my router (a Liinksys WRT54GS) does not have any buttons on it to push. Does this mean that I cannot connect to my home network?

​ Ken

"Where there is no alternative,
there is no problem."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FYI. I called Canon support and was informed that the problem I described definitely did not happen. There was no way the printer was responsible for shutting down my encryption. I have definitely done it myself in the settings of the router. So much for Canon support.

​ Ken

there is no problem."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kortmann wrote:

I just received a new Canon ip7200 printer and am attempting to connect it to my home wireless network. I have hit a snag due to the fact that my router (a Liinksys WRT54GS) does not have any buttons on it to push. Does this mean that I cannot connect to my home network?

I am not familiar with that router.  I assume that it you can connect to it, and configure it across TCP/IP.  You may discover that it has a soft switch, meaning you simply might need to connect to it, and click on the right button to start the discovery process.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,

Could you please elaborate on " I assume that it you can connect to it, and configure it across TCP/IP". I know how to access my router settings but I do not see an obvious way to configure the switch in question or any reference to "wps".

Thanks,

Ken

​ Ken

there is no problem."

@kortmann wrote:

Waddizzle,

Could you please elaborate on " I assume that it you can connect to it, and configure it across TCP/IP". I know how to access my router settings but I do not see an obvious way to configure the switch in question or any reference to "wps".

Thanks,

Ken

How old is your router?  It may not have "WPS", at all.  I'm not sure if it does.  Like I said, I am not familiar with that router, but all descirptions that I have seen make no mention of WPS for that entire series of routers.

Okay, I finally established a wireless connection using a temporary USB connection but if somehow disabled the encryption on my Wi-Fi network. I'm afraid to turn encryption back on for fear I will lose connection to the printer. Are you familiar with anything like this?

​ Ken

there is no problem."

@kortmann wrote:

Okay, I finally established a wireless connection using a temporary USB connection but if somehow disabled the encryption on my Wi-Fi network. I'm afraid to turn encryption back on for fear I will lose connection to the printer. Are you familiar with anything like this?

I recall having to do something similar with the USB cable to obtain the MAC address of the printer.  Once I had that, i was able to punch it into the router, so that the printer would always be assigned a fixed address wirelessly,   I had to disable wireless router security to get the printer initially configured, and then bring it back up.

NOTE, the wireless MAC address turned out to be different from the hardwired MAC address.  My computer has two PIXMA printers configured, one for each type of connection, wireless or copper.

The printer would auto-power down when connected wirelessly, and would not wake back up.  In the end, I would up uisng a 50 foot  Cat-5e cable I had laying around, and connected the printer to the router that way..  Yeah, it is not how I had intended to be able to use the printer, but you know what, though, data transfers to the printer MUCH FASTER over a network cable than it does wirelessly.  Now that the printer is connected through a cable, i could re-enable all of my wireless security.

Waddizzle,
Okay, I guess it's time to cry uncle and just set up a USB connection and forget about Wireless. I presume I will find some instructions for that in the manual and if I don't, I'll be back. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I appreciate it very much.
Ken

​ Ken

there is no problem."

Hey, if that printer has a network port, I would strongly advise going that route over a USB connection.

Don't throw in the towel until you call Canon Service.  You're still under warranty.  Right?  Give them a call.

Warranty status doesn't matter, Canon support is always free in the USA! Our all-American support team can be reached at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) Monday - Friday from 10AM - 10PM Eastern Time.

Thanks Stephen,
I was aware of the relevance of warranty status. Thank you for your input.
Ken
​ Ken

there is no problem."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements