cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad not finding Pixma MG5420 via AirPrint

BinkyM
Contributor
Hi, Canon:

Sooo frustrated. My iPad Air running 8.1.3 (and several previous versions) has never been able to find my MG5420 via AirPrint to print to it. My Network Config Page shows that my Wireless LAN is Enabled; my Connection is Active; the Signal Strength is 100%. When I attempt to print, I'm told, "No AirPrint Printers found."

As a test, I tried using Google Cloud print, and that worked. Problem is that I don't ever need to print via that method.

I have googled the bejesus out of this problem over the months that I've had this problem, and haven't found one iota of useful information. Canon's support page consists of "Turn the printer on, and AirPrint your documents!"

I'd be so grateful for some assistance that I'd cry if paper started spewing from my printer. I'm a disabled vet and bought this printer after scrimping and saving and all it's done is collect dust and I'm bereft.

Oh: I have a Mac and I turned on Printer Sharing via Ethernet for devices using Wifi. That hasn't helped any, either.

Thanks for helping me out with this. I'm ready to rip my hair out by the roots!

Binky
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi BinkyM,

You will want to ensure that the Bonjour setting on the printer is enabled.  If the setting is disabled, you will not be able to print via Apple AirPrint.  To ensure the setting is enabled, please follow these steps:

1. Navigate to SETUP from the main screen of the printer.

2. Press the third Function button below the screen to display the SETUP menu.

3. Use the left/right arrows to select DEVICE SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

4. Use the up/down arrows to select LAN SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

5. Use the up/down arrows to select OTHER SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

6. Use the up/down arrows to select BONJOUR SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

7. Use the up/down arrows to select ENABLE/DISABLE BONJOUR, then press the OK button.

8. Use the up/down arrows to select ENABLE, then press the OK button. The printer will enable the setting and then

display a confirmation screen showing that it was set.

9. Press the HOME button to return to the main menu.

Should you still experience difficulty after enabling the Bonjour setting, please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Hello.

If communication issues persist, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you, Ramona -- I am also not an "average" user -- not only have I owned Apple products since 1985, I worked in academic IT for seven years and have set up labs of the things.  

I hadn't thought to check "Other/Bonjour" settings to enable printing from my iPhone.  Excellent call!  That fixed my troubles.

Wkothman
Apprentice
My printer had worked fine with AirPrint for months before stopping after a severe lightning storm. At which point "nothing" helped. I finally went deep in Setup menu and reset all settings. Then turned on Bonjour. Still no luck. Finally rebooted my router - and then AirPrint worked again. IMPORTANT- on my Netgear router simply unplugging and plugging power cord did NOT work - I had to log into the router and hit the "Reboot" button on the that page.

Wow; that's an excellent tip about resetting your router via software, Wkothman! I always rest mine via the unplug/plug method, but I'm gonna try that to see whether it soloves some other problems.

(Meanwhile, my MG5420 has been driving me crazy with a "the cover is open" message; I've been tearing my hair out over that for two months now. At first, I was screaming "No, it's NOT!" at it, but recently discovered that there's more than just the obvious top cover, and that sometimes, the message refers to a non-obvious cover I haven't been able to find yet. 😕)

At least someone uses AirPrint happily! (You sure we're lucky the storm didn't zotz your equipment altogether!)

Wkothman
Apprentice
After enabling Bonjour you may need to reboot your router. NOT just unplug and plug in power - log into router app (mine is Netgear) and click the "reboot router" button. Worked for me.

bauerboy
Apprentice
I have a canon mg5420 printer and have been able to print before. Today, I went to print something and it said that no airprint printers were found. I came to this thread and something on one of the comments made me think of something. I have multiple wifi networks in my house that I can choose from. however, the one that the printer was tied to was not the one I was using this time. I changed my wifi network to one of the other networks and it recognized my printer.
Announcements