cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad can't connect to Pixma G3200 via AirPrint

bcowhig
Apprentice

Hi, community!  I'm having a problem with my new Canon printer, so hopefully someone out there may have had a similar experience and can suggest a solution.

I've recently purchased a new Pixma G3200 (which has built-in AirPrint), and it is working well, except that my wife's iPad can't find it on the network.  Her iMac can print to it wirelessly, so the AirPrint/Bonjour functionality seems to be OK.  I've installed the Canon Print Inkjet/SELPHY app on the iPad, and that is able to print to the Canon, so the iPad is on the same WiFi network as the printer.  The printer is located in a central part of the house and is showing 80%+ signal strength, so connectivity seems to be fine.  The iPad was able to print via AirPrint to our previous printer (an Epson Stylus), so the iPad's AirPrint functionality should be OK.  Both the iPad and printer have the latest firmware/iOS installed.  I can't think of anything else that I can do to make the iPad AirPrint functionality work.  The Canon Print app functionality is OK for photos and documents, but my wife usually needs to print from within Web pages and emails, which is where the AirPrint is needed.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks in advance,

Brian

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Before assuming this is a problem with your printer, do you have any other apple mobile devices you can test with?

Wanted to try and help you, but am unable to reproduce the problem.  I have an HP officejet connected to my wireless network via 2.4Ghz.  iPAD is running iOS v12.1.4 and is connected to 5Ghz.  AirPrint works flawlessly.

Test with another iOS device before concluding the problem is the printer.

If it still doesn't work, I would suggest assigning and static IP to the printer via address reservation in your router.  Only need to do this once. 

Assign an IP above or below your DHCP pool using the printer's MAC.  Restart the printer and it will grab that IP.  Now forget the wireless network on the iPAD.  Restart the iPAD and reconnected to the wireless network.  Now test AirPrint again.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hey, Rick.  Sorry for the delay in replying, as I wanted to try out some options.

Firstly, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post and provide some suggestions.

Regarding your question about other Apple mobile devices, I was able to try it with my wife's iPhone, and it also can't see the Canon as an AirPrint device.

Also, I have tried turning on again the previous printer we used (the Epson), and voila, it appears right away in the printer list on both the iPad and the iPhone.  So for both those reasons (now more than before) I suspect that the issue is with the Canon device.

As for assigning the device a static IP, I can try that, as I am comfortable with administering DHCP.  However, in my experience, that technique helps when you need to connect device A to device B, and device A would benefit from using a known, stable IP address for device B (for example, port forwarding to an internal server).  In this case, though, how would I inform the iOS devices of the fixed address of the printer?

Another theory I had was that perhaps the iOS devices can't see the Canon printer because they are connected to different bands (i.e. 2.4 GHz vs. 5.0 GHz) of the WiFi router (even though it is the function of the router to bridge the two bands).  I've checked the router's connected devices details, and that is indeed the case; the printer is connected to the 2.4 GHz band, while the iOS devices are connected to the 5.0 GHz band.  However, the Epson is also connected to the 2.4 GHz band, and it has never had any issue with connectivity from iOS, so that dispels that theory.

As I mentioned, I can try the static IP reservation in the DHCP, but I'm not too confident that alone will resolve the issue.  Meanwhile, any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Many thanks, 

Brian

Hi bcowhig,

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issues. Please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST(excluding holidays).

We look forward to hearing from you

Hi, ArthurJ,

Thanks for directing me to the Canon support line.  It took me a while to connect with them, because I'm based in Canada and that number directs me to the Canadian customer support, where the hours of operation are much more limited.  But I finally managed to call them at a time when they were open, and it turns out that the root cause is much simpler than I expected.  For some reason, I was under the impression that the G3200 supports AirPrint, but it turns out that isn't the case.  It's disappointing that Canon can't include such basic functionality in a $300 printer, but for AirPrint functionality I would have to pay an additional $100 and purchase the G4200 series instead.  I know that there's a Canon app that can be installed to provide network printing to the G3200, but that only supports printing files like documents and photos, whereas my wife usually prints emails and Web pages from her iPad.  It's worth noting that the comparable Epson models (ET-2650, 2750, etc.) include AirPrint functionality.  For now, the Printopia app seems to be working well to enable AirPrint printing, since the Canon is connected to my wife's iMac, but that's an extra $20.

Thanks,

Brian

This is very disappointing and frustrating.  I received the 3200 as a gift, opened it all up, added ink, threw out packaging....who would have thought that a $300 wifi enabled printer these days would not AirPrint.  I can find no way to save an email on an iPad in a format that the app will recognize as a printable document, unless I subscribe to adobe for $10 a month.  

From what I have found, there is not functionality with the Pixma G3200 and AirPrint.  Why would a canon rep suggest a call to the support group?  

SofDuca
Apprentice

Hi all

On Apple support site there is a list of printers that are AIRPRINT. https://support.apple.com/fr-ca/HT201311

Canon G3200 is not on that list. This is very disappointing. 

Announcements