cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable conversion Connector

will1234
Apprentice

Hi,

I am assisting an elderly friend to connect his Pixma MG3120 all in one printer to his home network.  We live 500 miles apart ruling our hands on help.

Jerry's router is a Linksys 2500 which has LAN Ethernet connection ports.  He tells me that his printer is not equipped with a LAN slot.

I have found an adapter that would connect the USB cable to the router ports, but the company selling the adapter suggests that the printer may not communicate through such a converted connection.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Bill

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The adapter manufacturer is correct.  The adapted connection will not allow communication.  

The MG3120 supports USB or Wireless connection.  

Wireless set up is here:

Support | MG Series | PIXMA MG3120 | Canon USA

If this proves to be difficult to accomplish remotely, I would suggest that he purchase a network ready printer, one that includes an ethernet port.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I just got off the phone with Canon Suppor, they gave me instructions to connect via wifi.

I will call him this evening and we will give it a go.

I have checked with Linksys and was told that his e2500 router will connect with the printer via wifi.

I will get back with you if this does not work!

Thanks for the information!

Bill

Hi Rick,

I was able to talk him through setting up a wireless connection between the printer and the Linksys e2500 router, actually very easy to accomplish.  

He has a Thinkpad laptop computer.  It was already equipped with the drivers for printing with the Pixma MG3120 printer, so I  had him go to devices and printers and make the Pixma MG3120 his default printer, then asked him to print a document.  

He received a message that the computer could not print using that printer.

By this time he was very frustrated, so I suggested that we might need to update the drivers and give it another try, but Is there a chance that the computer and printer are not able to communicate?

I thought I would have him attach the USB cable to see if it was able to print from a wired connection, which would point at the Wifi rather than the computer not being compatible.

This long distance troubleshooting is a reaal chalange and a test of patients, for sure!

Thanks for your help!

Bill

Announcements