cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another computer is using the printer. no other computer....help

traveltwo
Apprentice

I am using a HP laptop.  Just upgraded to windows 8.1.  Now I get this message 'another computer is using the printer'  I have a PIXMA MG5420.  I am connected wireless.  Please help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ramona
Authority

Hi traveltwo,

Reinstalling the printer drivers on your computer may resolve the issue you are experiencing.  Before reinstalling, please restart your computer and the printer.  Once restarted, please click here to go to the Drivers and Software page for the PIXMA MG5420.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "DRIVERS" section and click the MINI MASTER SETUP file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded the MINI MASTER SETUP file, please double-click on it to reinstall the drivers on your computer.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

Michael, I followed your instructions and the printer is now working.  Thank you so much for your help

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45

Ramona
Authority

Hi traveltwo,

Reinstalling the printer drivers on your computer may resolve the issue you are experiencing.  Before reinstalling, please restart your computer and the printer.  Once restarted, please click here to go to the Drivers and Software page for the PIXMA MG5420.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "DRIVERS" section and click the MINI MASTER SETUP file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded the MINI MASTER SETUP file, please double-click on it to reinstall the drivers on your computer.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Michael, I followed your instructions and the printer is now working.  Thank you so much for your help

SO can you post a how to for pixma mg5550  having the same rpoblems but don't want to install all drivers again if I don't have to

Maybe its worth mentioning that even though system says in use by another computer EVENTUALLY the document prints but this maybe 24 hours later

Just created an account to say thank you to crested Grebe.

Clearly explained solution that works.

nb I have a Canon MG6350 and I'm running Windows10

The reason behind the error saying another computer is using the printer. the following status is the usage status of that computer occurs because of various reasons.

Some of the reason is,

• Problems in the settings
  • Virus attack
  • Outdated driver
  • And many more

Therefore, in order to fix another computer is using the printer error on your Canon mx922, Canon mx490, Canon mx920 printers I have provided you some methods to troubleshoot the error.

So without further ado let me tell you the methods below.

Method 1: Restart your Printer

The first method to fix the issue is by restarting your printer.

The main reason behind applying this method is that it is often seen that the user use their printer for a long amount of time.

Due to this reason, the machine becomes lagged and as a result, shows these type of errors.

So in order to fix it, you need to restart your computer.

If the error still persists you need to follow the other methods below.

Method 2: Restart Print Spooler Service

The second method to fix the issue is restarting the Print Spooler services.

Let me tell you, the print spooler is a small application that manages the paper printing jobs to the printer.

If you try restarting the print spooler then you can fix the error.

Make sure to click the below link to know about all troubleshooting methods

Another Computer Is Using The Printer

Crested_Grebe
Apprentice

Having read many of the postings on this thread because it's just happened to me.  I remembered having a similar problem when I deleted print jobs with an HP printer. Here's what freed my printer today:

I have a lap top running Window 7, with a Canon MG6450 connected wirelessly.  I searched Control Panel with 'service'.

You could do: Control Panel > Systems & Security > Administrive Tools > Services.  Then scroll down to Print Spooler.  Open Print Spooler.  Stop it, then start it.

That allowed the computer getting the irritating message to print again.

Hope that helps and that I've given enough clues to work with other operating systems.

Yup - same problem here with a MG7550 - cost a fortune 1 1/2 year ago, but have failed to work properly since day 1. To make a long story short - it is the worst piece of hardware garbage I have ever come across, and I am writing this only to warn other people from buying it. And, I was a happy owner of a Canon Pixma 4500 for 7 years!

The "another computer is using the printer" has kept preventing me from printing so many times, and today I realised that you really do have to reset the printer spooler manually to have this machine work at all. See post above.

Other issues:

-drinks ink only by starting up procedure. I am out of color despite setting grey / draft as default mode.  
- a nightmare using it a scanner as the wifi is irreliable, don't connect to online services despite being online and accessible from pc.
- does not scan to USB stick which would be a back up solution

- useless "quick guide" software with 30(!) short cut icons which makes the simples function hard to find.  

extremely fragile build - expect the sensor at the paper tray to break, and the mechanism opening the front lid to get stuck

- poorly conceived software for printing cards.

- Just updated the firmware to 4.0, but no improvement on the reliability whatsoever

So - do yourself a favour and stay away this series of machine!!! 

Crested_Grebe offered a very quick solution, which worked perfectly!

Just  a quck thank you . Your instructions resolved my problem  I was so relieved  not to have to go through anything technical 

Announcements