cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workaround for MF8380cdw on dual channel wireless router

qmoongb
Contributor

Recently moved to a new location, and in order to keep my gigabit service, had to change my router to a Netgear Nighthawk C7800 (3.1 DOCSIS), with two channels.  The MF8380cdw will only connect to the 2.3GHz channel, and will not print anything from devices connected to the 5GHz channel.  Strangely, an older Pixma MG5320 inkjet works just fine on the same network.

Browsing and searching on this site is very frustrating, and what I can get through Google searches is just as limited.

Wondering if anyone has a solid workaround for this.  The most encouraging one I've found is to utilize a small dual-channel wireless repeater and connect the MF8380 via ethernet cable.  But I haven't acquired one to test it out.

Any suggestions or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

qmoongb
Contributor

Answering my own question:  just tested an extender, and it works.  Added a small mesh network extender, and connected the MF8380 to the extender with an ethernet cable.  It will now print (and much more quickly than it ever did over wireless), from devices connected to either channel of my router.

Stil a workaround, but better than not being able to print at all, which was the case before this, because it was too troublesome to switch channels every time I needed to print something.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

qmoongb
Contributor

Answering my own question:  just tested an extender, and it works.  Added a small mesh network extender, and connected the MF8380 to the extender with an ethernet cable.  It will now print (and much more quickly than it ever did over wireless), from devices connected to either channel of my router.

Stil a workaround, but better than not being able to print at all, which was the case before this, because it was too troublesome to switch channels every time I needed to print something.

Announcements